Why are rotors consistenly failing way too soon?

@keith, @Tester, @GeorgeSanJose - Thanks for the informative feedback. I now know what I should be asking our mechanic to look at if they have not already, plus I understand more than I did about how the brake system works.

@Hokiedad - While your comment about driving habits is correct that it could cause the issue, as stated in the original post our driving habits are the same as they were for the first 140K miles when we never had an issue. So I’m ruling this out as the cause.

Appreciate all your insight

If after you check your braking system hoses…calipers…pads…etc.

DONT DISREGARD…the INFERIORITY OF AFTERMARKET ROTORS…

I HAVE SEEN A RASH OF INFERIOR QUALITY ROTORS…ALL OVER THE PLACE… WHERE THEY COME FROM? CHINA…

IF THE ROTORS ARE FROM CHINA…THEY ARE MADE OF CHINESEUM…WHICH IS ACTUALLY DOG POOP SHAPED INTO CAR PARTS AND PAINTED TO RESEMBLE METAL.

NOT KIDDING…WELL SORTA…BUT NOT

I have found that seeking out and paying for HIGH QUALITY BRAKE ROTORS… SOLVES ANY ISSUES WITH EARLY BRAKE ROTOR WARPAGE/FAILURE. ITS TRUE PEOPLE… IT MATTERS…A LOT.

BLACKBIRD

Interesting that no one suggested pads could cause the rotor to wear faster. Metallic or ceramic are much harder than organic pads and wear longer, but do grind away at the rotors faster. My choice? Go to the dealer, buy quality OEM rotors (probably cost twice or more than parts store) and get dealer organic pads. Only then will you see longevity you saw during the first 100k miles. I don’t believe there is anything wrong with your brake system, primarily because usually you’d see one rotor wearing faster than the other one (Usually, not always)

Any car with drums all around will be so old that it won't have:

ABS
Stability control
Airbags
Decent sound system (some people actually care about these things)
Decent fuel economy (this is a generalization, I’m not too sure about the Beetle)

You don’t have to go that far back to find drum brakes. My wifes 96 Accord and my 98 Pathfinder had rear drum brakes. Had everything above except Stability control.

My 05 4runner and wifes 07 Lexus…have rear disc AND drums for the parking brake. I like this setup the best.

@MikeInNH

You quoted me, but misunderstood me.

“Any car with drums all around . . .” means any car with drums in the front AND rear

I thought that was pretty clear

Sorry if it wasn’t

So I meant vehicles that were at least 40 years old

@MikeInNH

Drum brakes still have their place in modern cars, but ONLY in the rear

That is my opinion

@MikeInNH

By the way, I’m familiar with drum brakes.

Almost all of the cars I’ve ever owned had front discs and rear drums

And most of those cars had acceptable brake performance

Guys, I’ve noticed that I got LOTS of disagrees and off-topics on several of my last posts on this drum brake topic.

When the topic of discussion is drum brakes, and I write about drum brakes, how is that off-topic?

As for the disagrees, I suspect someone really likes drum brakes and can’t hear any criticism, or perhaps they really do barter beer for brakes.

Or perhaps they dispute years of research and testing that has conclusively proven that disc brakes are superior.

Don’t get me wrong.

Drum brakes had their time and place.

But disc brakes are superior.

And drum brakes only belong on the rear on modern vehicles.

Well dont go finger pointing to me, its one of your fellow chums. I have not hit the disagree button and certainly not the off topic button. I have in the past traded beer for brakes, its just the way it works sometimes. You should see my disagree stats, lol…

All I was trying to say is that when when we had drum brakes on all 4 wheels we didnt have near the complaints about pulsation and squeeling like we do now. I guess I will agree that the disc brakes of the 70’s were not near as problematic as SOME new discs are, they make such thin rotors now to save weight to help cafe requirements. Which what are you saving if you need to constantly replace rotors to save .1 mpg.

If drums are such junk why do you think they belong on rear of cars? Is it the ease of incorperating a parking brake? Is it the fact that if disc brakes fail we can count on our cast away old friend the drum?

If drums are such junk why do you think they belong on rear of cars? Is it the ease of
incorperating a parking brake? Is it the fact that if disc brakes fail we can count on
our cast away old friend the drum?

Since the fronts handle 70% of the braking (as vehicle weight dips forward), the rear brakes have less demand on them. Plus it’s cheaper for car makers to include the parking brake into a drum brake than into a disk brake.

Drums make better parking brakes than discs.

That is why many parking brakes actually consist of parking brake shoes inside the hat of the rotor.

Parking brake shoes don’t require brake fluid to activate, so in that sense they are “fool-proof”

You quoted me, but misunderstood me.

“Any car with drums all around . . .” means any car with drums in the front AND rear

Yup…You’re right…I missed the “All around”. And you’re right that 4 drums haven’t been around in many years. I haven’t owned a car with 4 drums since the 70’s. Even my 73 Vega has front Disk.

Thanks to those who chimed in on the original post–a question about issues with quickly warping front rotors on our disc brakes.

For those of you discussing the pros/cons of disc vs. drum brakes and which is better you’ll have to agree that you are off topic to the original post.

Best to all

Fists were flying

The bigger question is, has this rotor problem been resolved?

At the mileage, it’s also quite possible for any one of a number of worn parts to mimic a warped rotor. That could include loose wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods or end, control arm bushings, etc, etc.

Some people on this web site will do this. Instead of addressing the original question posed, they’ll go off on some tangent and opine on something that has nothing to do with the subject matter.

I guess some people just like to watch themselves type.

Tester

@Tester

Was it you?

If you’re the one that’s been keeping their finger on the “off-topic” button lately, please say so.

I can’t speak for the others, but there will be no “retribution” on my part

@db4690

I don’t rate anyone on this board and never have. As a matter of fact, you’re one of the most knowledgable posters on this web site. So you’re the last person to be “Off Topic”

Tester

Me, I don’t mind if a thread veers off topic from time to time. Sometimes the off topic posts are quite informative and interesting. It is an opinion forum. Better of course if the OP’s question is addressed too of course when possible. But I don’t see it a big problem here just to skip the posts discussing things I’m not interested in.

@Tester

I was just asking

I meant no offense

Thank you for stating your opinion. I also get the sense that you know a few things.

Unfortunately, somebody seems to feel a LOT of us need to be handed “demerits” for veering off course lately.

If it’s “the moderator” I suppose I could understand