Why are automatic transmissions cooled?

Instead of going to three wheels, I went back to a motor bike, what we used to call small motorcycles in the '60’s. A little 300 cc 370 pound sport bike that’s super maneuverable and if it was any more responsive, it would have to read my mind.
People sometimes give a strange look when I pull up on a Kawasaki Ninja 300 and take off my helmet and they see an old guy riding it. But why should the young people have all the fun?
The way I see it, it’s a motorcycle that doesn’t miss the whole point of a motorcycle, getting better gas mileage than cars and just being handy and easy to park… It’s the perfect bike for people who need to get 70 mpg more than they need to double the speed limit.

I think the biggest problem with using some high viscosity oil in an automatic transmission is that there will be a lot of clutch pack drag when the clutch packs are disengaged. This can cause heat also.
Modern car engine oils have friction modifiers that cause wet clutches to slip under load also. That’s why you have to be careful what kind of oil you put in a motorcycle engine that shares the engine oil with the gearbox. Look for “JASO-MA” on the oil container.

Oh I’ve aged, @TSM. And While I can still ride a bicycle it’s doubtful I could get on a big bike. When younger I owned a few motorcycles and in my 50s I rode a Kawasaki that went well past 100 mph in 4th and when I passed 120 in 5th it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn’t written a will so I slowed to 45 and returned the Kawasaki to its owner. But at the time I considered it a ‘sissy bike’ for having an electric starter. I could start a properly tuned Harley 54 ci when I weighed 150 pounds.

There were some cars back in the 1950s where the engine oil was shared with the transmission. In 1953, the Plymouth HyDrive had a torque converter in front of a 3 speed manual transmission. The torque converter, engine and transmission shared the same oil. The theory was that the oil didn’t need to be changed as often because the spinning torque converter acted as a centrifuge and the dirt particles were separated from the oil and settled to the bottom of the oil pan. The 1953 Dodge offered two semi-automatic transmissions–the Gyromatic and the Gyrotorque. The difference was that the Gyromatic had a fluid coupling while the Gyrotorque had a torque converter. The Gyrotorque equipped Dodge shared the engine oil with the transmission while the Gyromatic did not share the engine oil with the transmission. There may have been some 1951 or 1952 Chrysler models with the torque converter where the engine and transmission shared the same oil, but my memory is hazy on this. I do remember that my parents had a 1952 Dodge with the Gyromatic transmission. The engine and transmission did not share the same oil. However, the oil required for the transmission was 10 weight non detergent.
The other car where the engine and transmission shared the same oil was the Austin 850 and MorrIs 850 (same car --different nameplates). These cars came along about 1960 and were the forerunner of today’s Municooper.

The last kick start only bike I owned was a Yamaha SR 500. A big 500 cc one cylinder bike. I remember the engine dying right before the light turned green and me just pushing it to the side of the road and waving people behind me on. I had no problems starting it but it’s nice to be able to just punch the button and have a running engine again.
At least the older electric start bikes still kept the kick starter then later they even removed that. The Honda CB750A did not have a kick starter, so if your battery wouldn’t crank the engine, you had to hope you could get a jump start from a car. There was no push starting this bike. Without oil pressure, the low and high clutch packs were both disengaged leaving the bike in neutral regardless of what you did with the gear selector.
My previous bike was a Kawasaki ZRX1200 that would do 100 mph in second gear. But at a claimed 540 lb curb weight, it was in the “help, my bike has fallen down and I can’t pick it back up” class of motorcycles. When gas started to go north of $4/gallon a few years back, it started to dawn on me that this bike missed the whole point of a motorcycle, being an economical alternative to a car.
It also was electric start only but being a clutch and gearbox type of bike, it could be push started in a pinch, and I had to do that once.

and the MG 1100. Basically the same driveline. But manual only.

I don’t know which models go with which years, but I own a Honda CB750K. It’s a 1977 and has electric and kick start. It doesn’t have an automatic transmission.
CSA

The “K” bikes were manual and if it was a 1977 model, you have a CB750K7. The CB750A had a completely different crankcase from the K bikes and it omitted the kick starter. The CB750A was a sales flop and was discontinued after a few years.
The CB750A also had a reduced compression ratio and smaller carburetors and was slower than the K bikes. They did get rather good gas mileage however from the road tests I read. I guess that’s the one good thing that the bike magazines could say about it.
Also, this bike had a wet sump crankcase as opposed to the dry sump crankcases of the SOHC 750 K bikes.
They are probably collector’s items now.

I couldn’t sit on one of these if my life depended upon it. My body no longer accommodates those positions. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Now THIS three-wheeler would be fun!
thU55TNRLG
For the record, I don’t consider it a motorcycle, but NH does. NH requires a bike license to drive any three-wheeler.