Who would you least rather have behind you?

Never had them in any state I lived in.

We did however have White speed limit signs saying you weren’t allowed to exceed the number posted, and Yellow speed limit signs for suggested speed limit.

[quote="Bing, . Remember the old day/night speed signs?

I remember them weii the last place I remember them was in Texas they made better sense than the states that have dual speed’s one for car’s and another for truck’s no matter day or night.

I remember seeing them in Oklahoma in the 1960s.

I remember New Mexico having no limit for cars in the daytime and I believe 60 mph after dark.

Looking at that link reminded me of the speed limit signs in Norway. 80 KPH I believe but they had speed cameras everywhere. So you never knew if you tripped them until you returned the rental car or maybe after that. I guess I never tripped them.

[quote=“Docnick, post:64, topic:154855, full:true”]
I remember New Mexico having no limit for cars in the daytime and I believe 60 mph after dark.

If I remember righe the age to get a driver’l license was 14.

AAA says about 17,000 teens are killed a year texting or showing off behind the wheel. From experience I know how poorly summer tires do in the winter. So I say neither.

+1
Several years ago, a friend of mine had a Maxima that was shod with summer tires.
During an icy period, he began experiencing chest pains and tried to drive himself to the ER, but his car–literally–would not move even one inch. The tires spun, and his car made no progress whatsoever.

Luckily, I lived close to his house, so when he called me, I drove over there in my Outback–shod with Michelin winter tires–and took him to the ER. He was astounded by the difference in traction, and the next winter he bit the bullet and bought winter tires.

Does the person on the phone have automatic emergency braking? If so, that’s my pick.

3 Likes

Yes, but only if it isn’t a Nissan Rogue. The AEB system on that model mistakes highway overpasses, piles of snow–and other things that are not hazards–for stopped vehicles, and the resulting emergency braking has caused 14 accidents–so far.

All the above plus a police car with flashing lights :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

For my state, the latest statistical study on accident causes shows distracted drivers to be slightly more dangerous than intoxicated drivers. Truthfully, the difference is so small as to be statistically insignificant.

Where did I read that they estimate that now 5% of drivers are under the influence of pot and drugs, and we worry about phones? Put that in your pipe and smoke it (as my mother used to say).

I am not sure about this, but here it is anyway.

Close to two out of every five of Americans have shopped on their mobile devices while behind the wheel. That’s 39%, up from 35% in 2018, according to a new Harris Poll conducted for Root Insurance.

I have quite a few fun ‘twisties’ where I live. I drive them appropriate to vehicle capabilities, weather/road condition, and my skill level which slightly North of mid 60s in age I now limit to about 6/10ths of my vehicles capabilities and road conditions. It is still fun and rewarding to clip a near perfect apex even at reduced speed. I am very annoyed by the incompetent/ignorant ‘drivers’. From my observations a few are elderly/incompetent (I give them a pass). In my state you can get a driver license and have it for life unless revoked. Mine was issued in early July 1968. I have never had to re-test in any way for my basic license. This creates the ignorant who have no idea of current or even vintage traffic laws. I experience many but one that applies to this thread is the difference between advisory and regulatory road signs. In my state advisory signs are yellow with black symbols and/or print. Regulatory signs are white with black print. Usually speed limits or ‘end of speed zone’ which on 2 lane roads/highways is 55mph speed limit. I have experienced too many drivers ahead of me slowing to the advisory curve speed which is OK but continuing at that speed because they think it is the new speed limit!

2 Likes