White House delaying release of new fuel economy standards

“these new CAFE standards are unrealistic unless we are willing to let the government force us to drive tiny slow little bubble-cars and/or hybrids so expensive that the lower middle class will be priced out of driving.”

My 1991 VW Golf Diesel routinely gives me 45+ MPG. It’s not an SUV or a delivery van, but it’s also not tiny, slow, a bubble car, a hybrid, or expensive. Newer models are even more efficient and do things like turn off the engine at stop lights. A friend got back from England recently where he was riding in a friend’s slightly smaller VW Polo Diesel that routinely gives 70 MPG (U.S. gallon, not imperial) over the 2 years he has had it. The Golf is bigger/heavier and so reportedly gives a bit worse economy, somewhere around 60 MPG.

you can bet small diesels will be coming to help offset the CAFE. I know Mazda is bringing one out soon as is Chevy

An Escalade isn’t big enough to overcome my insecurity. I need a truly large truck: the International CXT. Or, I may just have made an error. that’ll teach me to use big words.