Where is a good hiding place in a vehcle for the next owner to find

Carfax’s website says otherwise. I think you are wrong, I don’t think ownership is private information.

What does it say? Link?

I just pulled a carfax, they listed the owner as ‘Owner1’, no other information.

1 Like

Not like I’ve never been wrong before but I’ve never seen owner info on a Carfax. When I tried to get this information on the kid’s car some years ago, I was referred to the DMV. The boys in blue could still get it if official business but not as a favor to me anymore. I know a little bit about the MN public information laws.

I’m way to invested in this hahaha. Talked to a lawyer friend of mine. He said it’s a state to state issue. Carfax will give you info if the car is registered in a a state where it’s legal. In MD it’s public info, in VA it’s not, for instance.

I didn’t learn this until late in life, but the best used cars I’ve bought were at a new-car dealer. They were trade-ins, sold new and serviced at the dealer. No maintenance surprises, full maintenance history.

Provided the tires are good enough that the dealership isn’t likely to replace them, you could consider writing a note with contact info. on the inside of a wheel using contrasting paint, nail polish, etc., something likely to be noticed. There’s a chance someone changing a tire would see this and pass the info. on to the owner. It will cost you a mounting fee. I presume you also will be sharing the service information, etc., with whomever you are selling the car to.

Don’t put much in there - a small card size label card or label might work (more likely to be noticed) if you glue it to the wheel, with a matching card diagonally opposite for balance. If you don’t want to give contact info., you could specify a place to look for records, like behind a trim panel. Protect those from water if placed in a door or under a moving window.

What is that card made of that could effect the wheel balance ? This whole idea of hiding something is Silly.

2 Likes

I can predict there will be a run on tire shops to dismount and remount spare tires. Sooner or later one will show up with $100 bills in it.

2 Likes

Something that’s inside a fuse or relay box should get discovered eventually. How about under a floor mat? Or hidden in the spare tire or spare tire tools? Maybe a cassette tape left in the radio.

just run a car fax dude I bett u find some stuff

well some dealers keep good Carfax records and are reputable since the car fax on regular schedules helps them sell cars too most cars from a dealer is usually a trade in or bought at auction if the car is new enough good car fax records helps with depreciation on the car and it gives the customer peace of mind