Where do you buy your parts?

On my 2002 Sienna, as few repairs as I have had, I take it to the dealer. This is not how I normally would do things, but in McAllen, there is a, ahem, cultural problem. The only other place I have found that does good work has a waiting list of many days.

My daughter had a 1992 Saturn, when they were still great cars. She had maintenance work done all over the country. Once, she called San Antonio on the way to Iowa from McAllen, for a ??? mile major maintenance project. When she pulled in, they put several mechanics on it, and in less than one hour she had paid and was hatting down I-35 to the north.

In McAllen, mechanics at the Saturn dealer even reused a radiator clamp when they put on new hoses, and the sucker broke a few days later. McAllen is the only place she did not get perfect work the first time.

Air filters, good ones from Wal-mart. Oil filters from the dealer and put them on myself, of course. Mobil-1 EP synthetic at Wal-mart. Bulbs at Auto-zone, the high-rel type. Tires from a large tire dealer, Yokohama brand, but here in Mexico I wipe out one a year, no warranty once I cross the border, a local tire dealer recommends I change to a higher load rating tire.

I must not shop at the right 7-11. I’ve never seen auto parts there.

I never, ever shop at Auto Zone. But they aren’t in my neighborhood. I usually shop at Advance Auto Parts or Sears (is there a difference?), but I also but consumables at WalMart.

This is great! The reason I posted this question in the first place is… I have had to do a few minor repairs on both vehicles lately & it got me thinking, I am in my 30s & can remember when I was a kid going to a little LOCAL parts store with my Dad, even if it was just for a oil filter! Now I couldn’t tell you where one is located!

Most of the local parts stores have been squeezed out by the McParts chain stores. Personally, I try to avoid them. If I need something in one day I either go to the dealer (I go there often enough to get a discount) or I stop by my indy shop and buy from them (they either have it in stock or get it from worldpac that day).

Maybe the situation is corporate wide then, ok. And as for weekends, that would seem to be their most lucrative market, yet they send in the wannabes amd apprentices. Does that sound like an intelligent move for a billion dollar corporation?