Where do they find these ignorant idiots?

That might be me , but I do try to use the correct one . And for some reason the word ( opinion ) at times seems to be difficult for me .

No, it isn’t you.

I don’t consider forum posting written errors as egregious as I do errors that occur in supposedly professional publications online, in hard copy, and in business correspondence. As long as the poster is commenting in reasonably comprehensible wording, grammar, punctuation, and spelling, I may flinch at errors but do not get worked up about them. I’m rather prone to typos I don’t catch before I post, especially when texting.

However, we have seen quite an increase of sadly incomprehensible posts by newcomers here in the forum the past few years. I assume much of that is due to the influence on overall writing skills of texting norms.

A direct result of that really poor idea of the ( Ask Someone ) site. The thing that really bothers me is just how hard is it to spell Brake .

4 Likes

…or “pedal”.
Have you noticed how many people believe that they are pressing on a brake “petal”?

2 Likes

Not to defend the current condition of higher learning institutes but a lot of these articles are written by robots who don’t know the difference between golf and gulf. As long as it is in their (not there, they’re) dictionary, it passes. And no proof readers anymore. I used to have a girl who had been a proof reader, read all my stuff first and it was amazing what she caught. Our Finance Director wasn’t so fortunate though so I would send the corrections back to him just so he knew and could be a little more careful next time. Can you imagine, I never even got a thank you???

Edit: Plus articles are simply picked up from the wire and reprinted to use. Then you gotta remember that there are only five major corps that own 90% of the media so what happens in one office is simply redistributed among their friends.

1 Like

If a post here can be deciphered on the first read I just ignore any incorrect spelling, punctuation and grammar and move on to address the problem while those that escape understanding get passed over for the most part.

And I think back to all the applications over the years that I read from mechanics hoping to be hired whose efforts at filling out such a simple standard form proved to be lacking although as I recall all had graduated high school. It has for many years seemed that a basic education in the 1960s was considerably better than in more recent years.

There is no cure for stupidity but ignorance can be overcome with the proper effort from the student and instructors… IMHO

3 Likes

We don’t see it on this site, that I am aware of, automotive “experts” referring to the Studebaker 289 as a Ford 289. BTW, I use quotation marks because I do not know how to switch font to italics on an iPad.
Another peeve, when people refer to any other tablet as an iPad.

Hahaha! I say that just to PO my wife. It’s a pet peeve of hers. So I use that mispronunciation any time I get a chance. Just for funsies.

Lie berry, lie berrian, and so forth. :joy:

@Scrapyard_John

I continue to say “Studebegger” instead of “Studebaker” and my wife corrects me every time and asks why I say it that way. I say that’s the way I’ve always said it since my first encounter in 1953. It was fun going through the “Studebegger” Museum and she finally gave up for the day.

I still think “Cadillac converter” takes the cake :cake:

4 Likes

I hear that all the time at the ol scrapyard. “How much can I get for this Cadillac converter? It came off of a Toyota.”

Hmmm…You’d think it would’ve come off of a Cadillac.

2 Likes

The conversion wasn’t complete yet. :grin:

I have friends who are good writers who tried the contracting thing. You get paid when, and if, your article gets published. That might be next month. It might be next year. Or they might decide not to publish it (through no fault in your writing) in which case you just worked for free.

And even when you get published, it can take months for the publication to finally get around to cutting you a check.

It doesn’t take a good writer long to say “screw this” and go do something with a more reliable stream of income, and that leaves the dopes who got C’s in remedial English class to do the work.

That’s “lye berry”, a basic ingredient in soap.

It’s also the local accent showing up. Regional accents aren’t nearly as prevalent as they used to be. Go to or near any big city, and everyone’s accent is the same. Too much homogeneity, IMO. My wife’s grandmother used to wrench her hands in the zinc. Her mother carried a pockeybook. This stuff’s great, and I miss it.

C means average though, which means the majority. Maybe not unhinged brilliant or dumb as a rock, but just ordinary. Don’t we really want more just ordinary folks writing articles? Ya know, like down to earth?

1 Like

I don’t see how doing your job well and getting average grades in school are related. I have spellcheck and a grammar checker embedded in MS Word, and I write a lot of technical documents at work. Still, I check them at least once to make sure the document reads properly and that I conveyed the points I wanted to make. For a particularly important document, I will review it the next day to make sure I conveyed my message appropriately.

My Father finished 8th grade and my Mother 10th. They were both quite literate. My stay at home mom taught me to read when I was 4 years old. My 2nd grade class went to the school “lieberry”. I chose a book to check out but the “lieberrian” said “Oh honey that book is for 5th or 6th graders”. My teacher overheard, opened the book, and pointed to a paragraph for me to read aloud. I did and the “lieberrian” said “Oh honey you can check out any book you want”. I still read everything. Even the 2 least read publications in existence. My vehicle owner manual and the state driver manual!

4 Likes

No. The war on expertise and intelligence is stupid.

4 Likes

“Add vs Ad” indeed.

I recently had a brief email communication with a local graphic designer to whom I had sent four photographs I’d created for an artist client. The graphic designer’s message said that she was sending me the “proof for the ‘add’” that she was working on for my client. I was pleased with the proof…except that one caption ON THE PROOF had misspelled the name of my client’s quirky art piece as follows:
“Purple Peaople Eater”