Where are the Japanese diesels?

“I will be shocked if the diesel Cruze is a big seller here in the US when for the same or less money you can drive a much more refined Accord with not a heck of a lot fewer mpgs and run on cheaper fuel most places. Those are the comparisons that will doom the diesel in the average buggy”

I disagree. You probably compare the Cruze Diesel to the 4-cyl Accord. For someone that drives in town, it would be valid based on mileage alone. But if there is a lot of highway driving, the Cruze diesel is a lot better: 34 MPG for the Accord vs 46. mpg for the Cruze. But the Cruze diesel has so much torque that the Accord V6 is the better comparison. In that case, the Cruze provides much higher mileage in both city and highway driving: 27/46/33 for the Cruze diesel and 21/34/26 for the V6 Accord.

Someone just set an automotive record, driving coast to coast in a Cruze diesel and used the fewest gallons of fuel (about 53 gallons) ever achieved with a standard production car not in an “economy run”.

Keep in mind the way WE refine fuel, 2/3rds of a barrel of oil is gasoline and 1/3 diesel. The way Europeans refine oil gives 50% diesel and 50% gas. There is an incentive to push diesel in Europe.

@jtsanders
I agree with your numbers but I feel you miss my point. We have had this and similar comparisons before.
Actual highways tests from CR and my own knowledge of two friends who own the newer Acord, easily get over 40 mpg highway. The Cruz diesel will compete with the Accord in price ( and the Accord may be less in base model ) . I DONOT compare the motors and mileage figures. I compare the cars only to illustrate…you get a much " better " car overall for the same price. It is a valid comparison as it exists with Cruze V Accord, Fusion, Camry and a bunch of other midsize cars which the Cruze diesel will be priced with and are all, far better rides. The Accord is the most economical of all.

All that torque is WASTED in a fwd chassis and that is a total non factor as the 4 cylinder Accord gives most drivers in that price range, all the performance a fwd chassis need deliver. Most people shopping price and economy and considering best bang for the buck, IMHO, will choose an Accord over a Chevy Cruze, REGARDLESS OF Power plant. It ( the Cruze) will compete with the VW diesels for a relatively small market of people looking for max mileage in a comparable less comfy car then mid size. It’s a small market with little left over for the Cruze.

That’s why I will be shocked if the Cruze diesel is a big seller !

The torque is not wasted. My V6 Accord as plenty of torque and a ton of scoot. I barely hit the accelerator moving away from traffic lights and I leave almost everyone several car lengths behind. If I could get a car that gets 27% better fuel mileage and has similar driving characteristics, I’m interested. And the equivalently equipped Accord EX-L is still $2000 more than the Cruze diesel.

I thought about having this conversation before, too. Does the Accord steal all the Jetta TDI customers away? Apparently not. It seems to me the Jetta TDI is more in competition with the Cruze diesel.

Before getting too excited about the Cruze diesel folks will want to drive it. The tests I’ve seen were ‘it’s ok’ kind of results, nothing amazing.

Here’s what Car and Driver had to say:

"If you’re looking for the most authentic diesel experience, the Cruze is it. Chevrolet adds additional dash insulation and a ­different underhood mat to the diesel Cruze, but around town, its intrusive clatter is a constant reminder that only one of the brands in this comparison also makes HD pickups. Note that its torque peak is nearly 1000 rpm later than the VW’s. Its lag from a stop is near dangerous if you’re trying to dart into a gap in traffic. However, once you’re underway, the Cruze’s flat-out power delivery is less lumpy than the VW’s; the Jetta’s tapers off toward redline and then, after the upshift, rocks you back with another surge. And despite the Chevy’s intrusive noise at lower speeds, the engine fades into the background while turning 2100 rpm on the highway. "

Doesn’t sound like a V6 Accord has ANYTHING to worry about, as far as acceleration…

282, 000 Accords to date have been sold this year. This car along with Camrys and Fusions I would guess will take a huge bite out of diesels sales, especially as they get more and more efficient. Yes, compacts with diesels will have to compete with similar priced, high gas mileage midsize cars that offer quieter rides with substantially more room. If you don’t believe that, then why isn’t the Jetta TDI anywhere to be found in the top ten in sales, year after year…?

"
@jtsanders
I am comparing the 4 cylinder base and mid Accord, not the 6 with the Cruze diesel and the Cruze diesel is just not that much better a performer and substantially less commodious over all. You can break speed limits with both…that’s not a big deal for most car buyers once a car performs adequately. That’s why the Accord 4 outsells the v6 by such a wide margin and will the Cruze diesel. It’s motor is an off the shelf add on not specifically designed for it…and it shows. And yes, all that torque in a small compact that can’t tow or load carry with a bigger car…is wasted. It’s fwd chassis will not allow it to realize it’s full benefits as you can in a truck or SUV.

See @texases reference.

Just follow the diesel sales of the Cruze and let’s online this debate in a coup,e of years ! One of us will be proven more correct by then. ;=)

Aren’t all the Japanese diesels in all these Isuzu cab-over delivery box trucks I see running around ?

@ken Green,mostly-but you could actually get a GM smallblock gas engine in some of them,but I dont know if they are still availible or not-Kevin