When to decide to cut your losses on a used lemon

You could always donate it “as is” to charity and take the tax write off.

Yes, I would get rif of it and buy a simpler car (no turbo charger, no timing belt). Volkswagens cost more to maintain and repair and the best luck with them seems to be with technically savvy folks who buy them new and then religiously maintain them.

I never recommend any Volkswagen to a non-technical type, and not without explaining to them what it costs to keep one running.

A Toyota Corolla or similar simple car with a TIMING CHAIN and no turbocharger will make you a lot happier!

If you do that, just be very careful about the claimed value of the car.
The IRS has been investigating charities that provide donors with documents listing greatly inflated values for old clunkers. The investigations sometimes “reel in” the donor, as well as the charity.

I recently donated my son’s 1996 Toyota Tercel to the Salvation Army. I had to wait until it was sold at auction. They then sent me an IRS form with the amount it sold for so I can deduct that amount as a donation on my taxes.

They were upfront with the process before they picked up the car.

Yes, ditch the car.People always complain about the maintenance costs of old Bimmers and Mercedes. Old VWs cost twice as much to keep than those vehicles.

Don’t buy Nissan. Parts are thru the roof,and a big pain to fix. Buy Honda or Toyota.

You bought an aged 75k miles car that now has even higher mileage along with being 11 years old.

Based on the faults you’ve listed I don’t see this car as being that bad all things considered.
If you think an 11 year old Japanese car is infallible then you’re a bit mistaken on that.

If your 11 year old washing machine or stereo has faults does that mean they’re Lemons also?