When do hybrid batteries actually become useless?

As in most things.

Iā€™m an Old Fart who retinoiusly gets 200,000 miles from but Iā€™m considering and EV.

Long distance milege isnā€™t a consideration because I have a 6 cylinder cruiser when when I need to go long distancebut for trips to see the kids but with trips to see the kids, does it make sense to shift to an EV?

1 Like

I have seen a few references to 4k to 4500 rpm. I think the last time this came up even going up an on ramp to get to 70mph to merge I think 3500 rpm is all I usually do, if not less. Do you guys typically go 4000 to 4500 rpm in driving situations?

1 Like

gasoline will go back down to $2.20 a gallon then youā€™ll regret buying the EV. How many miles per year do you put on it? If itā€™s just a few thousand donā€™t forget that batteries and their warranties go bad over time, not just use. If itā€™s a small one like a Nissan Leaf it could be worth it but I doubt the savings would be that much. Why do you go on long distance trips with a 6 cylinder engine? Why not buy a 4 cylinder and get 30 MPG on the highway with that with trips?

Depends on the vehicle and engine. 4.8 V8 in the GMC, 2500-3k rpm. Similar for the 3.8 v6 in the Buick. Wifeā€™s Highlander with 3.5 V6 tends to hold gears longer and may be geared lower. Usually shifts at or before 3500 rpm. Old Tacoma with 2.7 liter 4 cylinder had no tach, but Iā€™d let the motor buzz pretty good merging with traffic. Iā€™d imagine I shifted close to 4K in it.

1 Like

The Civic has a 1.8-liter engine, zero to 60 mph in 9.6 seconds, shifting at 2500 rpms will cause road rage.

1 Like

:joy: I was gonna say the same thing but wasnt sure if it was true as I usually drive fast. I know this car is slow as shit and keeping up with traffic really does require me to easily go mid 3000s. If I gave that much gas to shift at 2500 people would rage on me I mean they already rage because I am not going 30mph over the limit or flooring it at every red light or stop sign people are insane here. San Diego.

Everyone I know bought a hybrid for the savings.

1 Like

There is technique to avoid the maniacs on the road.
You donā€™t have to join in the madness.

2 Likes

Your imagination is allowing you to justify your poor driving habits . I have driven almost all of the 48 states and never found it nessasary to take off from lights and stop signs like a drag racer .

3 Likes

Heā€™s a delivery driver. Lots of opportunities to see lots of traffic.

If you had claimed to accelerate gently, never allowing the engine to exceed 2500 rpms, you would be accused of hypermiling and shouldnā€™t be allowed to drive. You canā€™t win here.

2 Likes

Bought 2007 Toyota Prius, only vehicle I ever had new. The used ones at that point were almost the same price, so why not get a warranty? Gas was inching up to $5/gal I think, and everyone who commuted wanted a hybrid.

I just wanted to burn less fossil fuel. Which is what I told my (great!) mechanic when I asked his opinion, he thought I would not save enough money on fuel to equal the extra dollars that one pays for a second drive train (battery elec + ICE). Turns out he fairly quickly got his crew trained for hybrids, maybe half his business is now with hybrids.

That Prius is still going fine, had to replace the (lawn-mower size) lead acid battery twice in all those years, since that is what powers up the computer, etc. The hybrid battery runs the elec motor, never changed in almost 15 years, but only 140 k miles total. Retired, last two years I only put 1000 miles on each year, to grocery store and backā€”Covid, staying home! Plan to keep vehicle at least another five years.

3 Likes