What's a good reliable used car

@Docnick‌

Thanks for that information

With that new information in hand, I’m really beginning to think that OP’s vibe is not a lemon. Not even close

I might be wrong, though. There are a few technical service bulletins that I’m aware of, that would mean expensive repairs. But I don’t know how commonly they occur

And the rumors of the death of the NUMMI plant where the Vibe and Matrix were produced are exaggerated. It now produces Teslas.

@db4690 I’m also having second thoughts that the 17 year old son is also part of the problem. We sold our Nissan Sentra in near perfect mechanical condition to a guy who had a 17 year old son who had destroyed his first car, and not in an accident. I’m almost sure our Nissan is now in the recycle yard.

The “GT” designation on the Vibe confirms my suspicion that OP bought an abused car and the son may have added further abuse.

That’s why we have always sold our cars with the “As IS” declaration.

I wish more of the NUMMI plant (in Fremont) were being used. So far Tesla is only using a small part of it. Toyota gave it to Tesla for a pittance. It’s nice that any cars are being made there, even if it’s a small number compared to its previous output. It was a nice success story for a couple of decades, going from being a failing GM plant to a joint venture with Toyota that kept a load of people employed and made some excellent cars and trucks. California used to have several large assembly plants, all closed except for Tesla’s operation. I knew one person who went from Van Nuys (former GM plant) back to Saturn’s Tennessee plant. Also closed now.

@Docnick.
I agree. Not that a Toyota is immune to problems but my standard car recomendation for students is an older Corolla with reliability and parts galor working in their favor. Generally, if someone is having problems with them…it’s the way it’s being driven and maintained…