What vehicle have you owned that wouldn't die, against all odds?

In 1995, I acquired a 1991 Dodge Spirit that I drove across the US, and three hour weekend drives to Chicago repeatedly. The only reason it died was because I’m a dumb dimwit chic, … the Cheapo oil change place did not put the oil cap on correctly… it ran dry of oil, … and seized up the engine! ARGH… the year was almost January 2004. It had over 300,000 miles and it was going awesome strong… the only money I ever put into it was a new muffler and … er, ahem, transmission… but golly, gosh , gee, from 95-04? that’s $2,200 in ten years? what’s that? some change you find in your ash tray?
AWESOME KILLER GAS MILEAGE!!! : )
: )

My dad purchased a 1977 Lincoln Mark V new. 4 kids, me included, learned to drive with both it and a Buick Century my parents had. In 1984 the Lincoln became mine with around 140,000 miles on it. I drove it through the remainder of college and for years afterwards it was my daily driver. Around 2004 I finally got rid of it with 274,000 miles because it had developed a bad knock (it had been my backup driver for a few years by then). Rust had started to take a toll on the body by then and the seats were worn out so it was time to move on. During all these years I just did regular maintenance and the repairs it received weren’t out of line–it still had the original, unrebuilt, engine and transmission. My wife was happy to finally see it disappear.

Toyota MR2 1986.
I was a student then so the maintenance was not very good. I abused the hell out of it. Drove it like a nut job and only major repairs were timing belt and water pump. Water pump was my fault. And timing belt was a preventive maintenance.
225,000 Miles no frills no power anything. Loved it

My 1995 Jeep Wrangler with 160,000 miles. I live in a very rural area that demands reliability or your stuck on some mountain pass or God knows, some bear tracks nearby! Ive never had anything suddenly go wrong with it. I only replaced a water pump and a rear trany seal on it. Those two repairs were less than $100 each. I also had the cataylitic converter replaced just before it went off warranty at 100,000 miles. The instrument cluster or rally pack is the best feature of the older Wranglers, similar to the old Ford Bronco’s or Intl. Scouts. The new Wrangler’s look to ‘citified’ with the car dash. The reliability of these vehicles is not the best according to various sites I’ve looked at but they say reliability increases on this model if driving in rural areas. Huh?

1993 Subaru Legacy, 5 speed manual. No AWD. Drove it 250,000 miles, finally got tired of it and sold it to a friend for a pittance. His daughter wrecked it a week later.

1986 Dodge Ram B250 van. Ran like a champ but guzzled the gas. Averaged 10 mpg. Had to give it up when the tranny gave out.

1978 Chevy Chevette. Although it did eventually die it took alot to kill it. At about 160k it threw a rod through the block. I knew I would never fix the car so I put it out back, started it up )it made alot of clunking) put a brake rotor on the throttle and let it eat. The engine didn’t shut down until the heat melted the wiring.

I drove my 1966 Dodge A-100 van from 1966 to 1994 when I got tired of my 3rd engine rebuild due to failed head gaskets. It had a 273 V-8 auto transmission. The tranny had only one major service - adjusting the bands. Easy access to work on. Mileage estimated at 300,00 as odometer cable broke and was not replaced. Twice the leaded ball on the accelerator cable failed leaving me with no pedal action. I propped open the engine hood and used my hand to move the linkage on the carburetor and drove home quite a few miles.

I keep a '92 Crown Vic I don’t need because it costs me almost nothing to keep it and it still looks presentable and runs like a new one…rock-solid reliability…The odometer quit working several years ago so I’m guessing it has around 150K miles…It sits outside for months at a time, never complains…

Great story and picture!

Glad to be able to add the first (I think) German car to this illustrious collection:

1987 BMW 325

Sometimes, on a weekend, this car nut (me) goes to a dealer lot to check out later model vehicles and test drive them. Heading back home in my supposed “beater” I can’t help but marvel at its build and ride quality. How is it possible that over 23 years ago they were able to out together a vehicle that “drives better” than most current mid-size sedans?

1976 Ford pinto. Payed $80 for it. It was rusted so bad we had to put 2x6s between the springs n body to hold it together. Bought it in Wisconsin and drove it to Florida and then Phoenix. Sold it in pheonix still running strong

TOYOTA

I’ve been lucky enough to have experienced 3 cars that wouldn’t die. #1 was my parents’ 1967 Nova 307, 2bbl w/ powerglide. It taught 5 kids to drive, was hit by a BOAT (yes BOAT!) and had over 170k on the odometer when sold to a college kid who rebuilt the engine & trans and did some creative welding to replace things like the battery tray and he put another 225k on it before it met it’s demise. #2 was my 1958 Land Rover Series 2. Ugly, noisy & slow, but “Mrs. Twolumps” is still around. I drove it for 3 years in Arizona (on & off road) I had to have the trans. rebuilt in 1988 (factory inspector seals were still inside the casing. Sold it when I got married and 3 years later got a letter from some guy who lived in Fla. and was going to cherry her out. #3 was my 1963 Studebaker Champ p/u “Fifi”. She certainly turned heads-289 (stude), 2bbl with 3on the tree and overdrive. Bash Studies if you will, but beware of Fifi, she’ll find you. I never had a problem with her for the 5 years I drove her. She’d haul anything, anywhere, anywhen! I pulled more cars out of S. Texas flash floods with that truck that any other vehicle I’ve had. I sold her to a gentleman from Nuevo Laredo who had the money to cherry her out.

Got a late post here and I apologize for reviving this thread. Just want to join this cool conversation. I was hooked by the title. "What vehicle have you owned that wouldn’t die, against all odds? Well, it you’ll gonna ask me, my ford mustang 99 was that auto. Black in color and had a little bit lowered bumper slots. Sad to hear, my car was not running. I been waiting for the car recall from the dealer. Hope to hear that in the future. There were other models which it think will fit to me but my mustang has a sentimental value to me. It was given to me by my uncle who had passed away. Im not tempted to swap it with as ugly as brand new.

Just today my hubby called home to tell me that his 2000 Rav4 just hit 300,096 miles on it and this is traveling 450 miles each day from Pa to Atlantic City for work, He has just been getting oil changes and keeping water in it, inspection time coming up and only needs brakes. What an amazing car everything still works great including AC, to bad it didnt have an automatic garbage back inside for all his junk though, oh well.