What used car should I buy? I need ABS

One more thing about ABS, do NOT lift off the pedal. For some, their first reaction to the vibrating pedal would be to let off of it, but that is a mistake.
When you get your new ABS equipped vehicle, find an empty parking lot and try to get it to engage(easiest in snowy conditions) to get the feel of ABS kicking in.

ABS is very “standard” on cars sold in the USA. Pretty much every Corolla sold in the last 5 years has ABS brakes. 15 years ago, this wasn’t the case, but today ABS is very common. Pick out the Corolla you want and if it doesn’t have ABS, keep shopping.

One comment about abs and or traction control. Some of the time you are aware of their engaging because of the grinding sound. But, not always. They will subtly engage under light use and you may not even notice. I really don’t think many understand this when they make comments about it’s uselessness on cars they own that have it, and don’t even realize they are working. They actually think it’s their expert driving that kept them on the road. I’m sure it was never anyone on this forum.

Since safety seems to be your primary concern, I highly recommend either a 2006 or newer Hyundai Sonata or a 2007 or newer Hyundai Elantra . Those models were each redesigned in those model years and ABS, traction control, stability control, active head restraints, side air bags and head air bags were made standard equipment for all trim levels within the model lineups. Gas mileage is good and reliability excellent. Three members of my family have owned Hyundais over the past five years and all have been completely satisfied with them. I’ve driven Toyotas and Nissans and think that the Sonata and Elantra equal or exceed those cars.