What Tool should I get for husband

Nothing irritates you more? You hate having to return it? Why not throw it away with the gift wrap and pretend it never happened?

Wow! It’s the thought that counts with a gift. Perhaps with that ungrateful attitude, people give you gifts that you have to return, just to tick you off!

I guess I was raised differently. I’d graciously accept any gift and not be a bit irritated, but rather gracious. In fact, I was thinking of getting you something nice, but forget about it! I wouldn’t want to upset you.

P.S.
Oh, and don’t forget to kick the dog and yell, “Hey! Get off the grass!” :rage:

Just curious… Have you tried getting more fiber in your diet? :wink:
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

3 Likes

Like my mom said, I gave him a red screwdriver for Christmas, if you cannot fix it with the red screwdriver call a pro!

I only need one occasionally for stubborn lugs or bolts. I’ve had a corded Harbor Freight impact wrench for several years. Paid about 40 bucks (with shipping!). I use HF impact sockets, 1/2" SAE, Metric, regular, and deep.

Of course it’s not as powerful as an expensive one and it is long (compared with most air impacts) and doesn’t fit some tight spaces. To help with that I bought some inexpensive HF “wobble extensions” to allow more angle.

It might take a bit more time to rattle away on stubborn fasteners, but it’s always come through for me. Oh, and it is only forward & reverse, “on” or “off”, rather than variable speed.

Come on now. Did I mention it was only $40 and no compressor required?

So, depending on budget and frequency of use, the HF cheapo is an option.

I like to put on my white Dr. Motors official looking lab jacket and hang an automotive stethoscope around my neck while using it. That really impresses the neighbors and scares their dogs !:zombie: :wolf:
CSA

I forgot to mention, when it comes to Lithium-Ion rechargable batteries, the 20 volt batterys are the same as the 18 volt batteries. Ryobi calls them 18 volts so people will not think that they abandoned their promise to keep the 18 volt tools compatible with newer batteries and visa versa. Dewalt and some others called the Li-ion 20 volt and changed the form of the battery. They all use the same Li-ion cells inside, 5 each 4.3 volt cells.

Dewalt does have an adapter so that the new 20 volt batteries can be used in the old 18 volt tools and they work just fine. A lot of contractors were a little miffed that Dewalt changed the form and the old batteries were no longer available after investing so heavily in the 18 volt tools.

1 Like

Must be in Florida. You didn’t have close neighbors in Yooperville did you?

Pretty close (when they’re there). We have 8 mostly part-time (including me) residents on a cul-de-sac. Lake lots, so neighbors, yes, because real estate is at a premium. I have one next-door neighbor, seldom around, and since I actually live on the end of a peninsula (my lot has water on 3 sides) my other “next-door” neighbor lives across a canal, but it’s a seasonal home. I take him to golf league in the summer. Nobody in front, just a 10,000+ acre lake and nobody behind, only thousands of acres of state forest.

I don’t do much to the cars in Florida. I wait until I go north where all the tools are. Plus we don’t drive much or far here. Beaches are close. Wife’s sister lives close. Stores are very close (Wal-Mart, Publix, Winn-Dixie, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Costco, etcetera). Golf course is so close it literally surrounds our condo building (cart crossing on our entrance road) and pools and pickleball, wood working shop are a short walk.
CSA

I own the Harbor Freight Earthquake 1/2 impact and have been quite happy with it. They have cheaper ones but Earthquake is their higher end one. I read quite a few reviews before buying it as it wasn’t cheap and have been happy for what I use it for. I am not a daily user and I don’t use it to make a living so it is perfect for me. It works for automotive and lawnmower repairs. I also used it to break down some junk so I could haul it to the scrap yard. I think it is worth what I paid which was around $250 or so.

Another suggestion made above is to get whatever brand and series he might already has. Just make sure it is the same series and takes the same batteries, etc. The brushless stuff is the latest and greatest. I recently invested in some Milwaukee Fuel tools are they are great. It seems that all the big names have their specialty but Milwaukee came out on top overall. It depends on the usage though. Certain trades seem to prefer certain brands. Get the brushless model in the top series. Don’t just get the big box store special. I have a Harbor Freight drill. It will do what the Milwaukee does but you can tell the difference between the two.

Yes, 20V and 18V tools are the same. The 20V MAX stuff is really 18V over most of its working range. Yep, they have the same style and type of battery cells.