What to do with rocker rot through winter?

With 232K and 13 or so years of service you have “fully depreciated” this asset. @Barky dog is right, but I’d wait till spring to gt a new one, being from New England where we don’t buy cars in the early winter unless it is a dire emergency.

I got them on thankfully because most of the holes for the plastic rivets along the sides are still in tact.
The picture from last year shows the black panels along the side.
There’s nothing holding the bottoms but they aren’t loose. I’ll figure something out. Thanks everyone for the replies.

I currently have similar problem with my 1997 Thunderbird on right side. There is a little on left side but mainly on right. Back in October, I had some vacation time, so I wanted to get it fixed, since I had a week where I did not need car every day. I was very disappointed when numerous body shops in my area would not help me. I even went to a Ford dealer who gave me a price but kept trying to talk me out of the work because they did not want to do it. I went to seven or eight shops and most of them would not even look at the car. One place looked at it and told me that they do not like fixing rust spots and would not give me an estimate for the work. I think the problem is that a lot of body shops just do insurance work. I think the best thing you can do is to find a shop that either does restorations or is willing to work on rust. I have not kept looking just because right now, I need my car every day, but I might try some more body shops next summer when I take my vacation time from work.

Because rust is like icebergs. You only see a small part of it.

1 Like

Years ago in New England the plan was to pour your drain oil into something like an orchard sprayer and then spray it all over the underside of the car, and on to the rocker panels. It’s ugly, but so what?

I doubt that you will find a body shop willing to begin rust repairs on your old car with a one week time restriction. Another problem is the body shops don’t trust that people are willing to spend thousands to repair cars of little value, cars like these take up valuable parking space in the lot.