What matters most when buying a used car?

How to Buy a New or Used Car and Get the Best Deal Every Time - RealCarTips.com

Complete Guide to Saving Money Buying or Selling a Car (realcartips.com)

My list is very extensive, but if you’re spending 6 months or more of wages on something, then a full day’s worth of inspection is justified.

If you want a car that needs no repairs for the next year, then something like worn down brakes would need to be skipped even though the job could be done in a few hours for a few hundred dollars. Would you buy a $5000 car that needs no repairs because you don’t want to spend $300 on a brake job on a $4000 car that is otherwise in good condition? You’ll waste money thinking like this.

Be sure to read the owners manual and follow the recommended service schedule. If you want to do no service at all then you’ll have to buy a full electric car. But even that will need new tires etc.

Here is my list: Help me build a list of things to check when buying a vehicle

• A wide selling econobox make/model will be easier to buy parts and otherwise maintain.
  • Newer is more important than low mileage
  • Consumer Reports Used Car Guide offers guidance on which makes/models will best meet your needs
  • Insist the seller allow a pre-purchase inspection, done by your own mechanic at your expense
  • Take the necessary precautions as recommended by your local DMV so you’ll actually own the car after paying for it
  • This isn’t a great time for buying a used car, lots of demand b/c of Covid. Steel yourself to the idea it will be quite expensive.

Are you only looking to keep the car a couple years at most, or just an idea floating in your head for now?
Dated April 8th 2022, a kelly blue book article gave out a top 10 list of cars for under $200/month to lease(not buy)

If you are planning on getting rid of the car after 2 or 3 years, leasing may be an easier way to do so if you will be in a hurry to get rid of it. You could also look at swap a lease’s website and see if anyone is looking to get out of their lease