What kind of truck should I get?

@bscar if the Colorado is still anything like the one I test drove before It is much improved with a high performance, economical motor. It betters the Tacoma in many catagories…but so didn’t the early model when it competed against the 2005 Tacoma. The Tacoma still sells them all by a huge margin because of it’s superior drive train, off road capability and reliability. It is a second in most other catagories…Toyota puts it’s emphasis, according to on interview with a Toyota exec at the Detroit Auto show , on Capability, reliability and dependability…it’s three priorities. That’s what their loyal customers want and not glitz and a soft ride. They are happy to let the Colorado have that small buying field. The know that in those realms, people will just buy F150s and Full size Chevys and Dodges.

The one I test drove was the V8 version. It accelerated quickly, but the brakes on the thing felt like my old Chevelle’s drum brakes.
Then again, look at the Ranger. Ford spent most of its time and money on the F150, so the Ranger was kinda left by the wayside. Wouldn’t surprise me if GM does the same thing. After all, the money spent on small/mid-sized trucks, you could get a similarly equipped full size for the same amount.

And, at 9:26:53.58979323846…

For an instant, you get pi to all of its infinite digits!

The older Colorado was crippled by a weak five-cylinder that was universally despised as inefficient and coarse, and no more powerful than competing fours. The new Colorado is a completely different vehicle that is supposedly much improved. Hard not to be, but Toyota’s reputation will make the Tacoma the first choice of most. Chevy will probably pick up some buyers who only buy domestic vehicles (not paying attention to where they’re actually made.)

( Dang lolly gagging around,lost my post).@ dagosa,I was referring to Dodge V-6 not Toyota V-6,I own a dodge V-6 and everybody around here claims as good or better gas mileage with the 4.7 V8 vs my 3.7 V-6 and the 4.7 V-8 certainly has more power then my little lobotomized V-6

@MarkM

"The older Colorado was crippled by a weak five-cylinder . . . "

You forgot atrocious build quality. We have quite a few Colorados and Canyons in our fleet, and they started disintegrating years ago, before they were even broken in. Even the mid-grade versions used materials that didn’t hold up

I wouldn’t be surprised if the new generation of Colorado also doesn’t hold up very well, versus the Tacoma

I certainly hope GM tried much harder this time, but time will tell

Hasn’t GM reduced the powertrain warranty on the Colorado? That isn’t a good omen.

GM reduces power train warranty ?
Well, yes and no. Since 2007 it has been five years and 100k miles. Now it’s 5 years and 60 k miles. This may affect fleet owners more then private. Toyota is 60k. Now they are the same mileage wise. Not a big deal for most buyers.

Many, many people rack up 60K long before 5 years have passed

I know plenty of people who would hit 60K in 3 years, or less

Seems like a bad idea to reduce from 5/100k to 5/60k, unless you know your product is junk, and want to reduce warranty repairs, or you’re hoping the truck will be junk in a few years, and the owner will be sick and tired of it and trade it in, hopefully for the same brand

When its all said and done,the domestics would love to drop cars and produce large suvs and trucks,now on the other hand ,Nissan came pretty close to a few years back getting out oof the small truck business

http://business.time.com/2012/03/20/what-you-only-have-100k-miles-on-your-car-thats-nothing/

Pretty much in line with average miles driven and what Toyota does. I agree they are mainly concerned with the new car buyer, which is common to all car makers. Cars would not have become as reliable if it weren’t for govt. mandates which were specifically developed with input of car makers while trying to make them safer, more efficient and less polluting. Kevin, you are right Imo. They would like to produce vehicles that generate the greatest profit regardless of what it is. Option packages in all cars are designed to do that. The bigger vehicles have more options.

Making a smaller truck carry a lot of weight and still ride well, which is what many customers want, is a near impossible task for them. That’s why larger trucks get the buyers.

I think the reliability improvements are more related to the market share taken by Toyota and Honda. The other manufacturers had to improve or face accelerating market loss and eventual bankruptcy.

Everything is relative…but the fact remains, exhaust systems, ignition systems etc. are all directly related to an autos requirement to meet emmision standards without repair and under warranty for a specified number of miles. Without those requirements, a Toyota and Honda may still be a “more” reliable vehicle but only compared to other brands and for fewer miles.

Car makers only increase long term reliability when forced to by both factors. Car buyers are now used to not buying new exhaust systems parts yearly and will not accept anything less. That was not a car maker’s bright idea to use stainless steel without being encouraged to by emmision standards. . Neither was it a bright idea alone to make more rust resistant bodies by using aluminum in the f150 or more hardened steel in the frames of the new Tacoma. Both were instituted for mileage requirements. Once consumers get use to the idea they will not rust as early as they do inthe rust belt, it then becomes a marketing factor.

Getting a trailer to go with a pickup is a very good idea (for a thief). That way, when someone sneaks up in the night and steals the enclosed trailer, they can get all the free equipment too. I know two guys and one boy scout troop it has happened to. The value of their trailers was small compared to the contents.

I always try to park another vehicle in front of my enclosed trailer when I’m not using it. I have a “ball lock” too, but I don’t know how effective it would be to deter an experienced thief.

As a side story, one of the stolen trailers contained a BMW motorcycle and associated touring gear. The owner saw a guy riding his bike a few weeks later and called 911 while he followed him . The cops surrounded the rider as he got to his destination. When they went through the thief’s backpack, they found he was carrying a gun. It’s always best to call the police and not try to handle the situation yourself.

They make very sturdy locks for trailers. I am willing to bet your lock would discourage the theft more then a bike in the back of an open bed pick up. My shell is easy to break into with a lock you can defeat much more easily then the ball lock you have. Trailers can be made as secure as the back of any pick up. Everything is fair game for an experienced thief.

Many, many people rack up 60K long before 5 years have passed

Two years for me. I’m always exceeding my warranty in miles long before I’ve reached the years limit. Even with the 5/100k I’d reach the mileage limit long before the year limit. So the years warranty is meaningless to me. Has been that way for decades.

Speaking of theft . . .

There should be some law stating that thieves that steal automobiles, trucks, bikes, trailers, etc. must be savagely beaten. No passes

If nothing else, it might discourage them from doing it again

I’ll say this . . . for me, personally, if some memory has something really negative associated with it, in my mind, such as a beating or some other humiliating experience, I probably won’t do it again . . . whatever it was that resulted in the beating or what have you

I won’t go into details, but yes, there are certain things I won’t do again because I severely regretted it the last time

It may work with some. There are some though who were raised " in an environment " they were physically abused pretty savagely and would prefer a good whipping to jail time. When it gets to stealing cars on a regular basis, like many professional criminals, , the assuradness of getting caught regardless of the punish ment may be the best deterrent. It’s surprising how many car thieves just take unlocked cars…some with the keys in them. You could make a case for dope slapping some owners…by their spouse. :wink:

@dagosa . . . if a thief takes a car that was unlocked, it was easy for him

But the owner of the car made the thief’s job that much easier

Stealing is not okay, though, even if the victim lacks common sense :weary:

@db4690.
Car thieves come in all intents but they are creatures of opportunity. That does not justify the deed, but you might get not get the easy settlement you want if your insurance company finds out you provide “opportunities” for a car thief, like leaving your car unlocked with the keys in it.