What is your opinion of the strikes and current demands being put on automakers?

The original Nissan Leaf had a range of 73 miles and had limited success. The current version has a minimum range of 149 miles and with optional battery has up to a 229 mile range. Clearly, Nissan decided that they needed to increase range to have satisfactory sales.

So, I should go out and buy a third car just so I can hop around town using a battery? Instead of having one that is more versatile that can go on the road if I want. Really a stretch trying to justify all this. Golf cart comes to mind but at least they can be used on the golf course.

No, as long as you are satisfied with the two cars you own. But at some point you’ll want to replace one of those w/a new car. That is when it could make sense buy an all-electric car, b/c you’d have one electric car for about-town driving, & one gasoline car for longer distances. If you prefer gasoline cars b/c they are easier & less expensive to diy’er repair, parts easier to find, no worries, it’s your option.

The opposite side of this is what many of my friends have done…they buy a travel trailer that they use for summer vacation and a handful of weekends each year, and trade their sensible SUV for an F350 that they then use as a daily driver because “they need to tow the trailer”.

I drive 37 miles (one way) in traffic to get to work. I should be driving an electric car. I don’t think you should buy a third car. But maybe when you go to replace one of the two you have, it should be hybrid or EV?

If I lived in a city…I wouldn’t drive. Most large cities have excellent public transportation. I have relatives in NYC who’ve never had a driver’s license. No need.

I live in Los Angeles

People without a car here are often at a distinct disadvantage

As you said, most large cities have excellent public transportation

I live in one which doesn’t

1 Like

With no drivers license what do they use for ID?

They get a REAL ID Non-Driver New York ID Card. it looks just like a driver’s license. My 90-year-old mom has one.

2 Likes

This is what a Tn driver license looks like…

This is what a Tn ID card looks like…

And our carry permit…

1 Like

Interesting.

You can get a non-drivers license issued by the DMV. I moved out of NY in the 80’s. Back then we were one of the few states (maybe the last) that didn’t have a picture ID. To buy alcohol you needed a Sheriffs ID.

One of my engineers use to work for a company called Morpho-trust (now Idemia). It’s about 5 miles from our company. They do 80% of ALL drivers licenses. They also do ID’s for police, sheriffs, and FBI. And one of their big money makers is TSA pre-check. Basically anything to do with ID. He was telling me that some states are looking into driver licenses on your phone. Some states are implementing it now.

1 Like

I would avoid this too. It can’t even keep up with normal road speeds on local streets. I meant something more similar to the GM EV1 with the updated NiMH batteries, or the original Toyota Rav4 Electric, which also used NiMH batteries. Even the Mitsubishi iMIEV was a lot more useful and practical than a lot of the vehicles being offered today.

I dont have a license anymore, i use my passport when i need an ID.

1 Like

Used to read stuff on strikes. You miss 1 day of pay and strike is arguing over a 2% raise or a 3% raise so it takes 7 months at new pay to make up for lost work days. Gm is offering 20% raise and workers want 40%? I figure the new contract will make up lost days pretty quick? Maybe not.
I’d kinda miss no pay for 1 month. Workers getting $18/hr must be hurting?

It depends on the area

$18/hr is chump change in some areas, but not quite as terrible in others

But I agree that $18/hr is definitely nothing to brag about

Anybody getting paid $18/hr in my area would be starving and unable to pay the rent, utilities, food, etc.

$18 an hour doesn’t even get you onto the bottom rung of a middle class life here in New Jersey.

When strike started news reports detailed wages of GM new hires in some locations. Yes some were getting $18 and they were lower tier classification. 15 yr workers were in the $32 range. Approx.