What happened to the Manuals?

Two factors. Demand is low and the cost of emissions certification is very high…It’s MUCH easier to get a car with an automatic through an emissions certification…Also, I think, today, it’s cheaper to build an automatic when it’s all said and done.

Just like it’s easier and cheaper for many high volume manufacturers to include power windows standard than retool for a few manual window cars. It’s what the buying public wants. Standard MP3 adaptability etc, all go with the marketing.

Why in the world would you want a gas sipper engine in a car laden down with heavy, useless accessories?

That would be along the lines of taking a fully loaded Mercedes S500, and instead of its big V-8 engine, you gave it a 120 hp Toyota engine.

Manual transmissions are just more fun to drive if you are a driver.
Most car owners in the USA are not drivers.

BC.

Well, don’t buy a Toyota then.
But I do understand where you are coming from.

The main thing you need to do is change manufacturers.

Mazda and Porsche are probably the two companies that sell the most manual transmission equipped vehicles in the USA. Nissan no longer sells the Altima Sedan with a manual transmission, you have to buy the 2 door coupe. But you can get the Altima Sedan in Canada with a manual.

Hyundai only sell the base trim Sonata GLS with a manual transmission, but you can’t add any options to it, at all. No nice alloy rims, no comfortable power seats.

That’s why when I look at cars to consider, if it doesn’t have a manual, it doesn’t get considered. Heck, the Mazda RX-8 I have been shopping over the weekend has its top trim level, the R3, that only comes in manual. Even the base Sport trim, only offers limited slip rear differential in the manual cars, the drive shaft is made of carbon fiber in the manual, and the manual version revs to 9k rpms, while the automatic is only allowed to rev to 7500.

Here’s the thing you should consider doing, if you really, really have to buy a Toyota Matrix:

Get the version you want in the manual transmission from the place that sells it for the lowest price that you can find. Then take the money you saved not buying the automatic version, and paint the car the color you really want it to be. Instant win for you.

BC.