What family car should get after owning a GTO?

No stock Sentra ever went 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. They weren’t nearly that quick.

There’s no reason to sell the GTO until you have at least 2 kids. The child seat and mother can fit in the back. We got along fine with a 2 door Cutlass Supreme with one child.

If you insist on a “family car,” replace the Accent with something a little bigger and safer. Dad can drive the GTO and the family can take the family car when you all go somewhere.

If I have to suggest a replacement, I’ll go with a BMW X3 or 3 series sedan or wagon, doesn’t have to be new.

If you’re getting 10mpg then either something is very wrong with the car, or your husband drives like a nut (and your previous comment about racing tends to skew my theory toward him driving like a nut). That car gets around 25mpg at 70mph. You’d have to drive it pretty hard to get 10.

How about the upcoming Sonata Turbo? 276 HP. The current NA Sonata, even, has ~200 and the SE version is the sporty-handling version in the line-up. sub 30K easily.

Okay, so now that we have more of the picture:

Military, about to deploy.
Baby on the way.
Only vehicle, now that the Accent is sold off.

Get an Accord, a Sonata, or an Altima, and let that be that.
He needs to grow up, and become a father when he returns from his next tour.

Plus, it would be nice if there was at least 1 soldier that didn’t have a ton of debt waiting for him when he comes back home.

BC.

I bet when you got 10 MPG Hubby had 2 toes through the floor board. Speeding can cut mileage dramatically. The EPA mileage is 15 city and 20 highway. Let’s say you get 15 MPG during your commutes and you put on 10,000 miles per year. Compred to a car that will average 30 MPG and uses regular (the GTO uses premium), you will save $1300 per year in gasoline. That seems like a lot, but it’s less than you likely will pay for a loan on a new car. I mention this becasue the cost is likely to be high either way.

A Taurus SHO gets 17/25 MPG and uses regular gas. A Cadillac CTS gets 18/27 MPG and also uses regular gas. Both will be a lot of fun to drive and have 4 doors. The oldest new-generation SHO is 2010; the CTS goes back to 2003, so you can pay a lot less tna $30,000 if you want to. I’d try to stick to a 2 to 3 year old CTS if you are interested.

If you want a wagon, you can buy a 2011 or 2010 CTS wagon. I’d be A LOT more fun if it is a CTS-V wagon, but that’s out of your price range at $62,000. But It’s Worth Every Penny. Right, FoDaddy?

http://www.sportycompactcars.com/Nissan-Sentra-SER-SpecV.htm
Is pretty close and the last time I believe a blog.
http://answer.co5.biz/cars-transportation/any-suggestions-for-a-great-first-car.html

Still half a second is quite a bit when talking about cars with sporting pretentions.

I did some more digging and 6.4 seconds looks to be the quickest time, though it’s for the newer 2007-up models

and

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/original/application/1fd439e0cc97a7c723f63e6e322ff0e9.pdf

The pre-07 models weren’t quite as quick as they were 20-30 HP down on the newer models. Unfortunately the influx the turbo sport compacts like the WRX, Mazdaspeed 3, Cooper S, GTI, and Lancer Ralliart had resigned the Sentra SE-R to also-ran status.

Almost anything would be an improvement over a 2004 goat…It’s not like he is being forced to downgrade his ride…

Choose Mazdaspeed3 for price 23k (small backseat though), Subaru WRX for acceleration, and VW GTI for mileage. Compact cars, especially compact hatches, are used all over the world as family cars, not midsize sedans.

Thanks for the update. It reinforces the fwd limitations of trying to accelerate with rwd/Awd cars. Imagine trying to turn while accelerating, a real world requirement. In this case, Your list should put the Wrx in a different league from it’s very limited fwd counterparts. That’s the point in spite of my faux par.

fodaddy Thanks for the update. It reinforces the fwd limitations of trying to accelerate with rwd/Awd cars. Imagine trying to turn while accelerating, a real world requirement. In this case, Your list should put the Wrx in a different league from it’s very limited fwd counterparts. That’s the point in spite of my faux par. No way IMO op’s hubby will be as happy with a fwd car, regardless of meaningless acceleration numbers,when onlyawd or rwd can make them real world functional.

Having sold several Sentra SE-R’s during my tenure at Nissan, I can assure you they exhibited very noticeable torque steer, more torque steer than even it’s more powerful competitors. They seemed have really half-assed the front drivetrain engineering. I threw the WRX in there because it’s in the same league prize wise and is considered a direct competitor the other cars I mentioned.

Best bets for reliability: Toyota RAV4, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Camry, Honda CRV, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata, Hyundai Elantra, and Ford Fusion. Keep away from muscle cars unless the rising price of gas is no problem. Powerful cars tend to break easily. Once off warranty, they’ll eat up your bank account. Consumer Reports is your best guide.

The GTO was a 400HP rear wheel drive Australian GM product… WHat is comparable? THe EXPENSIVE BMW X5 V8…The Porsche Cayenne Turbo (500Hp?)…or non Turbo…(350Hp?)… A BMW M5…Audi 8…BMW 750il…or 740…

ALL these vehicles cost as much as a home so…if you are looking for a people moving 400Hp Rear wheel drive something…its going to be something like those above… Oh Mercedes AMG products as well…they are MONSTERS as well…again…Mortgage payment territory

Sounds like your husband likes Horsepower and Rear wheel drive…can blame him much…but I dont think its possible to count the stories of a guys PRE-Family vehicle…getting mowed over by the mini-van tale…

Good advice from a “wiseoldfart” to the rest of us “wise old farts”.

“What did families do before there were minivans and SUVs?”

They bought station wagons. I long for a Caprice Classic Estate or an Olds Custom Cruiser, especially one of the square body type with a roof rack, two tone paint or woodgrain trim, and wire wheelcovers and whitewall tires. More efficient than an SUV, better in every possible way than a minivan (better looking, easier to work on, comfortable, reliable, safe, more pleasant to drive, more versatile, capable of actually towing something). Big FoMoCo wagons and square body, RWD Volvo wagons also rank high on my approved list. I would try and trade the GTO for a G8. Then use the Hyundai as the gas saving commuter car and keep the G8 for family excursions and/or as a second car.

For a family vehicle consider only 7 passenger+ only vehicles. I only have two kids and life would be easier if we had one vehicle with 7+ seating due to carpooling and scheduling etc.

I own a high performance station wagon (Subaru Legacy GT) with manual transmission that works well and love it. Still would recommend a 7+ passenger vehicle to you.

Your hubby will never be happ[y with some lame rice burning fwd car after owning a GTO. We have a CTS-V in our family and it is an awesome car, kind of like a GTO with four doors. great gas milage, super fast and very reliable. You can buy a very nice one for under 30k.