What do you think about Ford's EcoBoost problem?

Texases, your comment that they use regular makes me wonder if in the quest to eliminate the EGR system and to allow regular gas with a turbocharger and prevent pinging they’re keeping the exhaust valve open a bit too long. I’m just guessing, you understand.

TSMB - could be, I imagine there are lots of compromises trying to get a smaller turbo motor produce good hp reliably, with good towing capacity, with regular gas, AND give better mpgs. He’ll be doing some towing with it this weekend, see what he says next week.

@jtsanders
The “developmental cycle” you refer to I’m sure has more to do with profit motivation whose decisions are made on that basis then not having choices. GM understands a lot and their ability to make quality products is second to none. Their willingness to do so has not. I can’t see putting the onus on some nebulous “developmental cycle”. It was mismanagement pure and simple to throw undeveloped and immature technologies like the Vega aluminum block without liners or block hardening, and diesels converted from gas motors etc. just to get these technologies on the market for short term profit and was a decision and was not forced on them by a cycle. They know and knew fully what they are and did do. They are choices made, much like the guy who bought their products without doing the research. Getting something for nothing is a prerogative of both the unsuccessful manufacturer and the disappointed consumer. Vega buyers got what they deserved and GM did ultimately as well…bankruptcy. Though far apart, the long path from the Vega to bankruptcy had many choices along the way.

Toyota sits on archaic but functional and reliable 4 speed autos while the rest of the auto world up grades, inluding GM. Why ? Because it’s worth having customers complain a little about the performance of a Corolla then have it break down. Toyota products have done a lot of lagging behind GM in technology for many years…but they waited and got it right while the first on the block, like Ford compacts with turbos will sit in repair shops and loose their reputations. I would not be surprised if “ecoboost” technology fell out of favor. I repeat, turbos in undeveloped motors, ill prepared, are a cheap alternative to proper engineering…“money for nothing and your chicks for free”.

@texases
I imagine one can be quite impressed trying out a turbo; less so if one buys a poorly engineered one and keeps it for more then a few years.

I believe with the current abilities of variable valve timing and electronic controls, that a lot of manufacturers are designing their engines to run as an Otto cycle engine while accelerating and an Atkinson cycle engine while cruising. Combine that with turbos and direct injection, quick warmups, and using waste exhaust heat to warm transmission fluids, and you’ve eked out about as much efficiency as possible from the humble ICO… at least until the next advance…

@oblivian
Let me add, all the while increasing the number of moving parts, complexity and ability to maintain it yourself. A simple electric motor with a 100 mile range for 90% of our use, while priced around $20k is starting to look pretty good. The Leaf with fed credit and reduced cost is nearly there.

100 mile range on a plug in electric vehicle might be fine for a lot of people. Except those that live in apartments, rural areas, urban areas with traffic jams (at least if you like to have heat or A/C while you’re waiting), anyone that has friends, relatives, business more than 50 miles away, anyone that likes to accelerate briskly instead of nursing a charge meter for max life, etc.

Also, the motor and electronic control system in any electric vehicle is far from simple. Someday when the technology becomes more mature and battery technology is a little more robust, and when there are electric fueling stations and accommodations for charging in a lot more places. (including in older homes with feeble electrical systems in their garages), it might make more sense to get one of these. For now they’re just a fairly impractical, pricey novelty for delusional people that think they’re being green. (check your local power plant emissions and the toll that obtaining the esoteric materials for the batteries adds to your karma)

Sounds like there’s a recall looming now for loss of acceleration.

As far a range goes, range is everything to me. It was 50 miles to work, 200 to the cabin, 200 to relatives, 800 to grand kid. So pretty much need unlimited range to make any sense at all to me. Doesn’t matter what the cost of gas is.

Heck, there are a dozen golf courses within 30 miles of where I live. An EV would be fine for me. But, I can’t afford thirty Gs for the “savings”.