What car would you buy to drive Route 66?

For some reason I always figured a manual 55 Ford V8 in sky haze blue or green would fit in nicely. It’d compete with anything out there today. I picture it at a drive in with the window up just enough for the food tray to fit on it with a malt and a burger and car hops on skates. Maybe even a bug screen on the front and a raccoon tail on the antenna.

1 Like

Really glad the person had a good trip . I hope he did not drive what they call RT 66 from downtown Tulsa , OK east because I did recently it is depressing. Run down buildings and more ratty looking used car lots then you can count . There just is not enough of the original 66 for me to tell someone to make the effort to drive it. A better plan is to find places to visit on a decent path.

1 Like

Silly me I would pick a Corvair!

Just be sure to bring a LOT of spare fan belts.
:wink:

Yes fan belts are handy but I’d pack a S ton of coolant also… Coolant leaks are rare in the Corvair, but they can be catastrophic when they happen. Oh and at least 2 bottles of Headlight fluid as well. lol

1 Like

This should be helpful:

My sister bought a brand new yellow/black, 140 hp, naturally aspirated 65 Corvair Monza, 4-speed manual, convertible. It was a nice vehicle and super fun to drive! She never experienced any unusual fan belt problems. It turned out to be a reliable machine.

Then again, it’s all relative, to other cars of that era. It was a huge step up from her 69 Volkswagen Type 1, that I know, and did better than many other vehicles found on the road (or dead on the side) in 1965…

By 65 those machines were very much refined over the earlier ones that took flak from Ralph Nader.

A friend of mine had the 180 hp Corsa. It was okay when it operated properly, but whatever was supposed to provide more air, whether it was a super charger, or turbo charger (I don’t recall), that was problematic, I recall.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Edit/correction
Wait! I believe my sister’s car was 110hp, the 140hp model was turbo charged, and the 180hp model was super charged, I think…

I suppose I replaced the belt on my 61 Corvair but I never had a belt fly off. It was only used around town though so maybe that was why.

By popular demand, more pictures my nephew took on his big trip. Good thing he did this in May 2019, not 2020! Batch 2 of 4.

2 Likes

Batch 3 of 4, again in no particular order.

3 Likes

Batch 4 of 4.

4 Likes

Excellent photos. Thank you for posting them. Your nephew saw many wonderful parts of the country. I’m curious what his overall impression was of his driving trip?

2 Likes

I agree… Awesome photos… of a gorgeous country and one hell of a road trip.

The photos tell me that he enjoyed what he was seeing and experiencing.

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning :slight_smile: