What car can handle our driveway?

Oh no…say it ain’t so…I think the Suburban & Expedition would be too big. (As it is, I curb check the minivan once a week.) Really, the 3rd seat just has to be optional and, most likely, it’ll be one of the kids and the dog in the far back, so it doesn’t need a lot of legroom. We can get one of those roof top carriers for any trips.

I’m curious to know the difference between AWD and 4WD in regards to our driveway. I think AWD shifts power to all the wheels, all the time and 4WD just powers all the wheels equally on demand. Couldn’t I just put the car in 4WD as needed when I hit the bottom of the driveway? Please tell me…I’m super curious!

If we had more space we probably would do that, but we live in suburbia & only about 3’-5’ of property on one side. :slight_smile: Thanks!

What exactly is scraping? If it’s just the tailpipe you may be able to stop it from scraping by cutting an angle on the end of the pipe with an angle grinder with cutting disk. Or, any garage can do this for you with a cutting wheel and it shouldn’t cost much at all.

The traction issue is a different problem, however a AWD vehicle with good all season tire might help.

For a long time the two terms were kind of interchangable-- in the early days, subaru used to call what most would call an AWD system “4WD” and some old Honda cars had “AWD” systems closer to what I’d call a 4wd. Nowadays, the concensus seems to be that AWD is full-time power to 4 wheels and 4wd is only on-demand, either automatically or manualy engaged. 4wd is typically found in truck-style vehicles and is usually equiped with “low range” which lowers the gear ratio and is useful for steep grades or deep mud or snow. AWD systems are typically more designed for improved handling on wet or slippery pavement, wheras 4wd tends to be better for off-road or rough roads.

For your driveway, having low-range would be useful, but you can probably do just fine with an AWD system.

If you look at Subarus check out the Tribeca, it may be big enough for your needs. The Outback may be too small going by what you say your needs are. Any of them will get you up the drive with no trouble. You may need studded tires though for snow conditions.

As mentioned, tires are the most critical thing to have on the car. You may need a softer tread for better traction. The Nokian WR may be a good one to look into. Here is a link to some info on it.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercars_product_en?product=610503

If you ever want your friends to visit you, you probably want to look into fixing the driveway. At least if you are planning on living there for a while. The driveway should not dictate your car choices for years to come.

Thanks!

If I hit it at the wrong angle, either the front or rear bumper scrapes along with the tailpipe. Sometimes, if I hit it really wrong, it seems as though a good portion of the undercarriage gets it. (This would be because someone is parked on the street and I can’t get the side angle).

My understanding has always been 4wd means the vehicle is off-road capable, while AWD is for road/highway use. So you would have:

Part Time 4wd - Suitable for offroad or very slipery roads only, should be in 2wd mode for road/highway driving.
Full Time 4wd - Suitable for all use.
All Wheel Drive - Suitable for road use only.

Well, it does keep out the riff-raff. :slight_smile: -Hopefully, the next car we get will last for at least 10 years and then we’ll probably move. We are looking into the driveway thing, though. Someone mentioned a steel plate at the bottom to cover the dip (which would still allow for drainage underneath).

I think we’ll just park at the bottom & walk if it snows. Thanks for the link for the Nokian WR, never heard of it.

You’re welcome for the link on the tire Blythe.

If you want to wait a while on getting a different car you might wait until it snows at your place and then go test drive a Subaru Tribeca. Take it up your driveway and see how it does. I think you will be surprised at what it can do.

AWD means that there is a limited slip differential on the rear that allows the tires to rotate at different speeds during turns. 4WD often does not have a limited slip differential. Too much turning will cause excessive wear to the differential. It is less pronounced at low speeds, though.

Not quite. A Limited Slip Differential has clutches and brakes (old fashioned mechanical stuff) to prevent all the power from going to the left or right wheel. It’s been pretty much superseded by Traction Control. All vehicles have a differential of some sort on every powered axle to permit left and right wheels to turn at different speeds in a turn.

4WD has a fixed distribution of power front-and-rear. AWD has a “center differential” to apportion power between front and rear (and permit different wheel speeds between front and rear). 4WD can have traction problems at high speeds because the front and rear have to turn at the same speed.

OK, so you are unable (or unwilling) to change the “footprint” of the driveway. What can you do about its maximum grade? You can’t do anything about the height where it meets the public road. If you have a garage, you probably don’t want to rebuild it lower. What is the profile of the driveway? Does it rise steeply from the street and then level off? If so, consider regrading it into an “S” shape – a smooth transition from street to driveway, a smooth transition into the garage or parking apron, and spread out the climb over as much distance as you can (minimize steepness). At the bottom, put in a culvert (drainpipe) to eliminate a steep drop into the ditch and then steep climb up the driveway. That would be better than restricting your choice of vehicles, and improve the resale value of your home.