What are some important car maintenance? and how often?

Hahaha…I learn something everyday.

@TwinTurbo … you are right, those folks are very bright. But in an engineer’s way. Technical manuals, beam me up Scotty and the like. I think they’re very busy w/work activities and have no time or just not interested in maintaining their cars, and unconcerned with cars in general. A car gets them to work and back, and if it does, good enough. Silicon Valley corporations require a lot of dedication of time and effort from the product development engineering staff b/c of the high cost of missing projected product introduction schedules. Cars come in second I guess.

The owner’s manual qualifies as the world’s most unread best seller. Any car I have ever owned had a log book, a 3 ring binder with all the service and repair bills neatly filed. This takes very little effort; much less than my wife spends cataloguing her favorite recipes.

You owe it to yourself the thoroughly read the owner’s manual. The part dealing with maintenance can be photocopied and stuck in your binder with all the repair history.

I agree that the manufacturers try to sell low maintenance and end up shortchanging the owner by not emphasizing the importance of such things timing belt changes, transmission fluid change-outs and cooling system maintenance. Those three arte the big killers that finish of cars often before their natural life it up.

In the past stuff from Japan had delirious manuals. I remember a camera I bought in the 50s which had an almost unreadable set off instructions in largely Pidgin English.

Docnick-the person who started this thread 3 months ago had started several in the replaced forum that were just close to being nonsense and was flagged as such.
The post by M. Express has a link to their website and might be spam.

Thanks for the heads up; I thought I was addressing a serious question.

why ask here? Look at your owners manual.

1 Like

called “INDEX” ? :grin:

2 Likes

hondas are great cars particularly the older ones, they will run forever even if you neglect proper maintainence. The only only thing i ever owned that could compete with a honda,as far as longevity was a early 90s jeep cherokee. i admit i didn`t maintain it as well as i should have but that engine purred like a kitten and supplied plenty of power all the time.The only reason i sold it was because it had a persistant problem with overheating no matter what i did to try to fix the problem.
anyhow, just change the oil regularly,give it some new spark plugs every couple of 20 or 30 thousand miles and a honda will run forever.

:rolling_eyes:

Yeah, feel free to ignore the specified interval for replacing the timing belt, and those engines will run…forever…as long as your definition of “forever” means “until 1 millisecond after the belt snaps”.

1 Like

give it some new spark plugs every couple of 20 or 30 thousand miles and a honda will run forever.

For Pete’s Sake , how many years has it been since that was valid advice ?

1 Like

I can’t recall the automotive publication but the Cherokee XJs made their 10 vehicles that refuse to die list.

Another 40,000 miles, and it will be time for my second timing belt on my V6 Accord.

Trying explaining to tardrex that proper maintenance includes more than just oil changes and spark plug changes…
:rolling_eyes:

1 Like