Wearing glasses while driving a hazard?

The problem with wrap the around lens is distortion. For the driver/wearer, it's not worth it for any peripheral vision gain.

There have been some advancements over the years that make this doable. I have warp-around sun glasses…there’s ZERO distortion. The place I bought them at took several readings…and the lab that made the lens made adjustments to eliminate the distortions in the peripheral. Just 5 years ago it wasn’t possible (at least not where I buy my glasses from).

I’ve got the same eyes. Frames might be an issue but the problem I’m finding as I get older is that the old head just does not want to swivel on the old neck like it once did in days of yore. Getting a ‘TV’ cramp in traffic? Not much fun. I know I would catch hell from a driving instructor because of this so mirror and seat set up and moderate neck stretching before driving is important to this aspiring geezer. Unfortunately my mirrors and seats fail the memory test after the wife’s been in the truck so they are getting a good workout these days…

You could add convex (fish eye) mirrors to your side view mirrors. The auto parts stores have a variety of these mirrors that you can peel and stick to your mirrors.

– immagine if you will. have NO right side peripheral vision ! ( close your right eye and try to drive in close-quarters downtown traffic. )

@Ken Green

I have the same problem since I was a teenager from an automobile accident. I woke up in the hospital and they said I lost my right eye. I came in here with it, woke up and suddenly it’s lost? I think somebody took it from me when I wasn’t looking! :wink:

She’s also dealing with a loss of depth perception. This will take a lot longer to compensate for than the loss of peripheral vision. Took me a couple of years but eventually I was back to playing baseball and other sports that were extremely difficult with monocular vision. Driving was a bit scary at first, not just due to the trauma I had endured but also the change in vision. The body is pretty amazing in its ability to compensate. After a while, she may notice an increased sensitivity in hearing on that side as well.

A while back, I had to get bi-focals. They made me sick when turning my head in the car and looking around. Everything wavy and distorted. After a couple weeks suffering, the brain finally gave up and made sense out of what it was seeing. I can’t see those distortions anymore even if I try. Your advice about practice is spot on. You’ll adjust…

Those fisheye mirrors are dangerous in my opinion. They make everything too small to see. If the mirrors are adjusted in accordance with the instructions I posted in an earlier post on this thread, additional mirrors are not necessary, unless your inside rearview mirror is blocked.

Gordon D,

Try turning your head instead of pretending that peripheral vision gives you enough information to know that there is or isn’t a vehicle next you yours in traffic.

As a motorcyclist, I would greatly appreciate it if you were to do this, as it might be me you might have next to you one day.

BC.

@keith,

Those fisheye mirrors are only there so you can see if the space is clear. They aren’t designed to give you a detailed view.

When I got my first license in the 50’s, I barely passed. So, I had to get glasses. When they tested my eyes, my vision was like 20/250.

After I retired, I noticed my glasses bothered me. And, I noted when I look across the mountain valley with and without my glasses, it seemed about the same.

Next time I had my glasses changed, I asked the eye doc. He hadn’t told me, but my vision had changed and I no longer needed distance correction. He said this usually means cataracts have formed, and for a few years they will be clear. With time they will darken and I will need cataract surgery.

My own guess is you have developed a bad scan policy. Scan left, look ahead, scan right, check rear view mirrors, look ahead then do it again. This scan habit must be vigorously enforced or you can think you are scanning when you are not.

In 1992 I got my learners permit in Ireland (provisional licence). This necessitated an eye test. I Failed and have had"must wear corrective lenses" on my licence ever since. I knew I needed glasses.

In 1995 I was in Colorado and needed a drivers licence, so I sat the test (still had learners permit after failing test in spring 1995). Passed driving test in CO first time, after a month in the country driving on a different side of the road without any lessons. Also passed DMV Eye test. Sat test wearing glasses. Told tester about eye test back home. He laughed.

My eyesight has not improved since…

Don’t think glasses are an issue driving. , but eye tests should be every 2 years if you need glasses

I suppose there could be something to what you say. Basketball players who need prescription glasses wear those special 180 degree corrective goggle-like-things, and if anybody needs good peripheral vision, pro basketball players do. So one idea might be to get those basketball glasses for when you drive. Or get some contact lenses. You can combine contact lenses with polarized sunglasses, which gives you the best of all worlds.

But your question isn’t that. Instead your question is" Would you be a safer driver not wearing glasses at all … vs. wearing your current glasses"?

Well, that is hard to say. It depends on what your non-corrected vision is. Is your non-corrected vision at least 20-40? If so, you may have a point. But you may have to debate this point with a judge one day, and I’m not sure the judge reads these posts! lol … Probably better off to wear your glasses as required by the restriction on your drivers license.

@jtsanders
They do…I normally tell them to take a nap, or someone else’s car (: