Water in the rear differential

All I know is I tried a “water crossing” in my old Jeep CJ5 years ago that resulted in axle bearings being purchased! So I try to avoid it. It wasn’t all that fun getting pulled out after the Jeep high centered anyway. It was more of a “mud plus water crossing”. If you want to play, you’re going to pay! I’ve already had my fun. Too expensive. I drive around the holes now :grin:. I wouldn’t be afraid of a boat launch, but I learned pretty young to avoid those “let’s see if it’ll go through that” shenanigans. Cause sometimes, it doesn’t lol.

1 Like

Get an M38A1 @Scrapyard_John. everything is sealed and vented to the intake snorkel that is above the hood. And I mean everything including the bell housing, distributor, generator, axles, etc.

But if you drive one in salt water and don’t do some serious washing the brakes will get stuck to the drums and require service at Fleet Logistics Command.

Buddy of mine had a CJ2a. I liked my V8 Cj5 better lol. Nowadays they make 4 wheelers and side by sides that are bigger than both. And probably faster.

But, if the terrain gets that difficult, I’ll walk. An old boy once told me “Walkin ain’t crowded”.

You reminded me of the time a friend got spooked by the trail we were on with the jeep and decided to jump out and walk. Only problem with that was he almost fell down the scree slope about 4000’ drop off…

I grew up with the understanding that driving in 4 WD just gets you in worse holes than you can get in using 2 WD. and mostly stayed out of serious trouble. Long ago with 3 boys who wanted toys I built a nice Jeep out of 3 scrap heaps and installed a roll bar and seat belts and they went to work tearing it up on every hill side we could get to. And whenever I was ready to go home I let one of them drive into some soft mud and once they got it out they were ready to go. When I finally sold that jeep and all the left over parts I realized that I had probably earned minimum wage for the hours spent working on it. I was getting rich and didn’t know it.

Well, you weren’t in MS (4K foot slope) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. If you jump out here, you’ll just get wet and muddy.

I used to think that old Jeep would go anywhere. And it almost would, if you wound out the V8 and could control it. It’s paying for the repairs that made me decide to dodge the worst obstacles. It was a fairly reliable vehicle after I learned some restraint. I’d be scared to commute with it in the 80 mph traffic of today. Every once in awhile I get the hankering for another Jeep. Then I remember how it drove on the highway and imagine trying to keep up with today’s traffic and come back to my senses!

4 Likes

What’s the highest hill in the state @Scrapyard_John? Bay Springs is 415’ and a lot of dirt was brought in to hold water up that high to reach Pick Wick. This state seems to be at the bottom both literally and figuratively. And to make things worse in my area gumbo/Yazoo clay is everywhere and Caterpillers get stuck and stay till summer in that stuff.

Blockquote

My old military Jeep was no good above 45 mph.

I think it’s “Mount Woodall”. Mount being a loosely used term here. Believe it’s in Prentiss county. Not sure of the elevation. I went there one night 20 years ago with a girlfriend. Can’t see squat from the top at night time is all I can recall. Just trees and girlfriend.

Tishomingo state park is cool, though, if you’ve never been. Lots of rocky outcrops and pretty scenery.

Wikipedia says Mount Woodall is in Tishomingo county too. Could’ve sworn the ole girl was from Booneville, though…

That’s the area where the waterway is at 415’ @Scrapyard_John. And you’d think you were in Alabama when you see all the rocky hillsides compared to the rest of the state.

Sounds like around here. The areas I had water issues with were the creeks at about 400’ and you would have rocks to at least one side up to about 600’. Go north of there and it gets up to 935’. Steep grades. I just need to stay up north lol

Here’s an example of what I was talking about. Not the exact same area of the bailout but close. It gets tight and harrowing…