Watched a kid get very lucky today

I’m shocked. You mean the answer is parents and not busing or head start programs? The world belongs to those that simply show up?

I think I agree that basics such as reading, math, colors, social interaction, and even music are pretty basic in the lower grades. I’ve always been a pretty good reader, probably due to my grandmother and really that is the basic building block. When we put our son in pre-school, yes they had fun and other activities, but they said the main purpose was to make kids good readers. And this was at four years old.

I'm shocked. You mean the answer is parents and not busing or head start programs?

That’s a very simplistic and unrealistic view. Busing and Head Start are completely different issues to solve completely different problems.

Yes, and Head Start’s main value is keeping kids safe, off the street, and used to the idea of going to school. Numerous studies show it gives those kids essentially no advantage academically beyond the very lowest grade or two. Which makes sense. Those kids aren’t going to be sprinting out ahead of their classmates. They’re going to be studying, and learning, the same things as the kids in the seats around them, whatever they were doing at age four.

I don’t think anyone with half a brain doesn’t think circumstances at home are critical for learning. Parents/guardians who don’t value knowledge raise kids with similar attitudes. The school system can’t change their attitude very much, but with a bit of coercion it does seem possible to change their behavior and get their kids to go to school. Just showing up doesn’t guarantee success, but not showing up (when you’re starting to read, especially) guarantees you’ll start at a big disadvantage. Kids who start out in a hole seldom catch up fully and more often fall further behind every year. I really like this program. It’s still fairly new but is already showing improvements in test scores.