Wash/Wax Preferences

Thanks. I’ve been eyeing foam cannons since I saw them on detailing videos. I just dump liquid in the PW’s tank. I hadn’t thought of mixing with water… 50/50 in the cannon?

Worse car wash ever was back in '80. 2 kids offered to clean my van. Well, it’s an older VW, and they couldn’t hurt it, so gave the go ahead. I think they used laundry detergent (with bleach) and didn’t get it rinsed soon enough. But they worked hard and deserved the money. Driving a tie dye VW is kinda cool.

The mixture is typically anywhere from a 10/90 to 30/70 (soap/water) depends on the particular soap. There are some soaps on the market that are made specifically to produce foam, those are the ones that typically require less soap in the foam cannon. Higher quality soaps are generally thicker, so just dumping them in the foam cannon without water won’t yield the best results.

1 Like

For about 20 years I washed and waxed my car(s) multiple times a year. I was always on top of it.

Then other priorities began taking my time. In the last 30 years, I’ve probably washed my cars only about 3-4 times in total and have not touched a can of wax.

The way my cars look doesn’t bother me. Mother nature’s rain does a good enough job.

I do appreciate and enjoy seeing others take good care of their cars and for how nice their cars look. It’s just no longer a priority for me.

I hand wash myself (except wife’s car-wouldn’t keep it clean). Clay bar only the first time I buy a used car. I have noticed if I wash and wax regularly, I don’t need it. Recently bought a used Prius, white one and it actually looked fine. I started washing it and noticed the paint was not smooth at all. 10 years of grime and also heavy water stains, including the side windows. I clayed the car and it was black water drooling down. I haven’t fixed the windows yet. Vinegar, clay bar and also some bar cleaner something mentioned online just made it better but you still can see the stains.

I used to use turtle wax, then moved on to Meguire’s and now to Nufinish. Liked the liquid but am going to try the paste this time.

The blade never worked for me. The blower too. Here in Southern CA the car dries too fast and with the blower I end up having stains.

Yeah, need to wash in the middle of the night. All the products say to not use in direct sunlight. When else do they think I’d be washing the car? Maybe put on my slicker during the next rain storm?

Joking aside, I’m just not ready to wash as the sun comes up. Yeah, I know, lazy.

My garage faces east so I get full sun all day until late afternoon when I can wash cars. If I do have to wash in the sun, I keep it wet and then into the garage to dry it off.

I hear you. I wash on the grass sometimes under trees. I’m not dedicated enough for the 6:00 AM car wash.

I used the synthetic claybar on my f150 then waxed with turtle wax carnuba.
Seemed to be about the same as when I used a real clay bar on the Accord my wife drives.

Use Nufinish too . Great stuff lasts a lot longer than any of the other major waxes I have used . You do have to use a soft clean cloth applicator or you will get little white dots of nufinish left on the car but it lasts forever and has a real good shine on it . Then just chamois it off when washed . Claybar, nah I’m way to lazy for that much work . :slight_smile:

Ive tried the paste, Nufinish . Liquid is better . Seems to come cleaner and easier .

lick clean with tongue

Thanks. I just bought a can of the paste, have to use it anyway/will see.