Wagon East! California to Montana

Thanks for the good feedback @chrisvolvos80 , glad your Volvo AWD worked out well for you in the wiles of sub-freezing Montana winters.

I vacationed a couple of weeks one summer at Flathead Lake – I think that was the name of the place – and surprisingly to me the folks that lived there told me it didn’t snow that much in the winter there at Flathead Lake, at least it didn’t get very deep. But they said it did get very cold. I also had a friend who worked on the Montana road crew years ago, who also made a point of how cold it would get.

After I retired from Trucking, my wife, dog, and I set out on an 8600 mile trip to see all the great national parks of the Northwest. The day I was going to drive through Montana’s Glacier National Park on the Highway to the Sun, we couldn’t because a blizzard because the pass was closed with 10’ of snow. It was the 4th of July.

It’s called the “Highway to the Sun”, but can be very cold even in mid summer. We’ve camped and hiked there several times, and the weather is always a crapshoot.