Vintage Car Mechanics

yah, it’s those old guys who kept up to date who have to teach the young whipper snappers what they never learned in school…or on the computer…

common sense.

priceless

I just hope when my hair is all gray, I’m not one of the guys taking the dead blow hammer to the scanner . . .

Not common sense, but experience. Can’t beat it.

Just find someone in their late 40’s or older. Old enough to work on carburetors and points.

Until two years ago, I owned a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon that I purchased new. There was no computer to plug in a scanner and get a read out. This deficiency can be overcome by a mechanic who can reason.
When the car was “only” 14 years old, I took it to a tune-up shop with a great reputation. My son was going to use the car to commute to a summer job about 70 miles away (he would come home on week-ends). The proprietor of the shop personally worked on the car. He used a 'scope to analyze the ignition, but spent all kinds of time making adjustments. The bill was very modest. When I protested that he charged too little, his response was “I love working on these old cars. I can actually do something with them”.
Find an old time mechanic who loves engines.

If you don’t find a mechanic through the parts store’s or the mechanix files on this site, you might look into using angie’s list. My dad used them to find a great contractor for his deck but they also have Auto repair shops as part of their service. AAA might have some suggestions too.