VANtastic Blues - Ignition Timing

On old well worn engines with questionable timing marks the timing can be set by advancing the timing until the engine begins to run rough, then move back until the idle smooths and snug the hold down bolt. With the engine warm hold the brake, shift to drive and step on the accelerator to load the engine against the brakes. If there is a pinging retard the timing slightly and try again. You want the timing advanced as far as possible short of pinging… PLUS when attempting to start the engine there should be no hesitation from the starter. If there is hesitation retard the timing further. The increments in this situation would be about 1/4 inch on the radius of the distributor.

Turn the engine over by hand until the timing mark on the pulley lines up with the TDC (0°) mark on the timing chain cover. Then remove the distributor cap and mark exactly where the rotor is pointed on the outside of the body of the distributor with a magic marker or something similar. Then put the cap back on and see if the mark lines up directly with either the #1 or #6 cylinder.

If it doesn’t line up pretty close, then there is a problem with the gear off the cam or the timing chain or the model of the distributor that you are using. BTW, You don’t have points, this is an electronic ignition.

It appears that all your wires are one post to the CCW of where they should be.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=114

If I thought the mark on the crank pulley or the reference scale on the engine block were off for some reason on my Corolla, I’d remove the number 1 spark plug and poke a wooden dowel down the hole 'til it hit the top of the piston. Then I’d ask a helper to hand turn the engine with a ratchet on the crank pulley. The point where the dowel reaches its highest point is TDC.

Chrysler Corp. started electronic ignition in 1972 or 73. 1982 is electronic.