V8 vs V6's - Engine longevity/maintenance issues

One other plus for a V6 (besides lower initial cost and somewhat better mpgs) is that they are typically lighter, resulting in better handling because of better weight distribution and less weight on the front tires. The V6 Mustang with the handling package is a good example of that, several reviews liked the handling better than the GT with the V8. And with 300 hp, it was faster around the track than the previous V8 (still not as fast as the current one, though).

Best V-6 ever built in my opinion is the GM 3.8/3800. Smooth, powerfull and bullitproof

The Nissan V6 in the Maxima gets my vote; very smooth and quite trouble-free. Agree that the Buick-derived 3.8 is the best US V6 ever made.

Here are some more thoughts. Interference engines are high maintanence when the belt breaks. Spark plug intervals are so high now, they are changed once or twice in the life of the engine (6 vs 8). My 2007 3.0L V6 uses 6 quarts and my toy car with a 454 CID uses 5 quarts. Go figure.

I prefered the early Maximas with the 240Z straight six motor. These motors were deriveted
from straight six Mercedes motors. Strong, powerful and easy to tune and work on.

That was a tough engine. My cousin in Europe had a mid 80s Nissan “Laural”, their Maxima, except his had a straight 6 diesel. He was a software salesman and installer, and put nearly 400,000 kms (250,000 miles) on it.

The car was bulletproof, as was the engine, according to him.

1937 was at the height of the depression, people were much more concerned fit costs and fuel mileage that power.

At least the Ford 60 was a V-8 which puts it in the category of real cars. Edsel Ford designed a 6 cylinder for the Ford which replaced the 60 horsepower V-8 in 1941. I’ve read where old Henry Ford didn’t really like the 6 cylinder idea. I believe this 6 cylinder engine developed 90 horsepower, which was 5 more horsepower than the Ford 85 V-8 which was an 85 horsepower engine.

And computers are considerably cleaner to work on…

The V-12 is not necessarily more powerful or longer lived than a V-6 or V-8. The V-12 in my former Jaguar was incredibly smooth, but their DOHC I-6 in a similar Jaguar sedan could out run it.

When I worked for a Ford dealer in the mid '70s, one of the OLD mechanics told me how they replaced MANY Lincoln Zephyr V-12s with V-8s even before WWII. The V-12s were not good engines. In the early '80s I bought a '37 Zephyr. Ya know, that old guy was right.

The '60 Corvair’s gasoline heater used an igniter similar to a spark plug. Modern kerosene forced air heaters use them today. The Corvair had a separate exhaust pipe to take the fumes out the back. I had trouble finding one for mine in 1969. I made one from 1" conduit.

My '80 VW Vanagon had a gas heater that could be run independently of the engine. I could start the heater, go back in the house, and return to a toasty warm van ten minutes later. I think it was an option, but I didn’t order it new.

The 3.8 is bullit proof, except for its plastic intake manifold.