Used Mini Cooper (2008-2015) - mechanic says bad idea

I suggest OP avoid all the European brands if he cares about reliability and value.

2 Likes

I have had 20 plus British cars. I know all about frequent repairs. I said as soon as there is a Mini dealership within 100 miles, I’ll have one.
The local Dealership has been open 4 or 5 years.
I don’t have a Mini. Why? I no longer want to put up with any hassle getting repairs; even when covered by a warranty. Even when they provide a free loaner and pick up the car. So; no Mini for me. I had a new Volvo and lived 1/4 mile from the dealership. Frequent repairs were still a pain.
You need a car that doesn’t show bumper scrapes and dings as easily as most. Take a look at a Ford Escape. I think they may have mostly flat black bumpers which would not show light damage as much.

2 Likes

Escape is way too big for me. My heart pulls me to the Mini, but I need something around the same size as the Mini for parking purposes.

I checked and the Yaris appears to be only a few inches longer than the Mini, so I may go for that. Frankly the car is going to get beat up on our roads and even parked (people bang into you parallel parking all the time, you should see my bumpers) and even if it doesn’t get much use, I still need it to work when I need it.

In NJ, where dealerships for most marques abound, there aren’t as many Mini dealerships as one might expect. The nearest one was about 25 miles from my house, but it closed last year. Now the closest Mini dealer is probably about 50 miles away. By contrast, there is an Alfa Romeo dealer about 15 miles from my house, and a multi-line Ferrari/Maserati/Bentley dealer about 20 miles away.

Just buy what you want . It appears you are buying used so that in it self is a gamble . Stop obsessing over a few inches . Are you going to ask yourself why you did not buy the Mini if you buy something else ?

1 Like

they’re made by BMW. if you ask a tow truck driver what car they need to pick up for breakdowns most, especially new, it’s a BMW. further, i had a friend who had one. he works on cars, can do a lot, and was always having to fix things that were pretty much the same kinds of things going out when i had a BMW. if you like it, get it…but don’t cry when you have to spend a ton of money on it. if you don’t have money to waste on breakdowns, get a honda or toyota.

1 Like

I had a Mini Cooper S and it was a lot of fun to drive. It was expensive to maintain and the parts and labor were very high. I would never buy one used. Also, the run flat tires were terrible. I don’t think I would ever buy another one.

1 Like

I would spend a weekend and test drive a Mini, Fit, Mirage, etc. This will help narrow down the cars you like and the ones you don’t like.

I like the Minis too. If you have a budget for potential repair costs and you like driving it I don’t see why not purchase one. If you want something with better reliability I’d choose a Fit, Fiesta, or a Scion.

1 Like

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the most obvious - bicycle or ebike if your commute allows, would be the best way to solve your parking problem. They even have bikes that fold in half that you can fit under your desk.

How about a Mazda 2. It’s roughly the size of a Fiesta and will have a sportier feel to it.

2 Likes

Hi all, appreciate the continued discussion. My wife has basically ruled out the Mini for me – she loves our mechanic more than she does me, obviously, and sided with him. :slight_smile:

I’ve narrowed my search to the Yaris, Fit, and Mazda 2, and hoping I can see some used ones out there to pick up, test drive, and see if it would work.

Bike/Ebike won’t work because we use our car for errands, travel with suitcases/bags, and I usually have my wife in tow. But I do have a bike and use it when I can.

2 Likes

Make sure you check out the back seat of the Fit - it folds in a number of ways (down, up), making it versatile.

1 Like

I don’t see you going far wrong with any of those. Good choices! Best of luck. If you are buying a used car, make your purchase contingent on a pre-purchase inspection by your own mechanic.

Well, since size and parking seem to be the main concern, how about a smart car! :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, there’s an oxymoron.

5 Likes

I once had a 99 Hyundai Accent and it was a good running car and easy to maintain.