Used car mileages

Well, in most cases you don’t have a clue how the car was driven. So the choice has to depend on information offered, as well as the condition of the car. But in general, more miles = more wear unless you happen to know otherwise.

That’s fair. Except any sensible seller is going to remove such decals.

No one ever said this was about selecting a car on the basis of one parameter. Don’t project.

Maintenance record is key. A well-maintained car with 60k miles will be a better purchase then a car with 30k miles that was never maintained.

3 Likes

Reviewing the maintenance records if they are available and paying for a prepurchase inspection at your favorite shop offer good clues to how the vehicle was driven.

You live anywhere near Western NY that I can bring to for service? :grinning: You’d make a great machanic.

No, I don’t live near Western NY, and–no–I’m not a mechanic. I’m just a car owner who believes in maintaining his vehicle at least as well–sometimes better–than the mfr specifies.

2 Likes

I do my own oil changes so there is no record. I have tried providing my maintenance history when trading cars, but the dealer wants nothing to do with it. They can’t even give my name out so I can provide i5 to the new owner. Dates, mileage, for anything done to the car since new but they don’t want it.