Two items from the press

I am merely reporting the viewpoint of these 9 CEO’s that state in order for them to make the next round of mandated mpg increases the car is going to have to cost more and that higher fuel costs through higher taxes will motivate peole to buy these higher cost and higher mpg vehicles. What was also stated is that the cheap,easy methods to better mpg have already been done.

The most fuel efficient car I ever owned only had two valves per cyclinder and did not have variable valve timing.
What these gadgets give you is an engine that is both fuel efficient and powerful.

Now that you mention it I did not read of any plans to reintroduce a 36 hp model but neither any talk of only making 500 hp models. There is more than just talk of offering 4 cyl economy and v-6 power. Auto makers claim that they will embrace the challenge offered by this second round of mpg standards rather that fight them like what was seen for 20+ years with emission standards.

Now, lets also say that the Silverado costs $1k more.
But for the extra $1k, you get 10 more mpg, 30 extra hp, and much cleaner emissions.

Well, for bulk sales, the Ford will win to the fleet purchasers.
For the cheap buyers, the Ford will win for the lower cost.
For the power and tech junkies, the Chevy will win.
The greenies won’t buy a truck, so that doesn’t matter much.

WHAT…I know MANY MANY people who own pickups and would be first in line buying a truck that gets 10mpg better mileage…10mpg is HUGE…It’s not just farmers who buy pickups…There are at least 20 pickups in my parking lot every morning. Most of the people who own them are engineers. They like the versatility that a pickup offers.

Personally I LOVE the new Cafe’ standard…Auto manufacturers aren’t going to spend one dime on making cars more fuel efficient unless they have to. Force them to and they will. Just take a look at how well they did on their own since the last change (Cafe’ numbers were flat). If mpg was left up to the auto manufacturers we’d all be driving mid-size sedans that got 15mpg.

[sarcasm]…and CEOs have never lied to us before…or had their forecasts proven wrong…[/sarcasm]

I see four rules of logic broken with your argument, ignoratio elenchi, abusive ad-hominem, circumstancial ad-hominem,strawman. All those fallacies in so few words.

One would think that if fuel prices got high enough, long enough, then the market itself would dictate a rise in the demand for more efficent cars. And whatever company anticipates this the best stands to profit the most. Actually we already saw this happen, GM just about went out of business. Keep in mind CAFE standards had no bearing in that, it was purely free market.

Not to get too political but in case no one has noticed, the print and electronic media are in a free fall and there are hardly any real journalists in the field anymore doing any real reporting and editing. Over the past 10-15 years, the industry was deregulated allowing radio, tv, and newsprint media to be owned by the same company. What we have now is a few conglomerates/investment companies that own most of the media outlets and are interested now in making money, regardless.

If someone were to ask what the biggest issue facing the US today is, in my view it is not the Supreme Court, the deficit, taxes, or employment, but it is the dterioration of the real media. People that dig and report what is really happening, not just take something from AP. This allows both major parties, and special interest groups to put out rediculous press releases or reports with no one questioning the validity of them.

Yes?

The first item about the loose cap and the CEL is just plain incorrect. In order to prevent escape of any hydrocarbon molecules into the atmosphere, your tank is required to maintain a small negative pressure (vacuum). A sensor exists that monitors this.

For the second item, you can send your letters of thanks to Al Gore. Yes, it is true, the greenies think that huge gas prices fed by taxes would be a wonderful thing and would force everyone to buy what the greenies think they should buy. They couldn’t care less who suffers. Activists of all types tend to believe that taxes and mandates of various types should be used to forward their agendas. I think the laws should allow open season on activists…that would foreard my own agendas.