Truck or SUV for towing a horse trailer

“I don’t think I would want to pull a horse trailer with a horse with our Toyota 4runner”

I own a 4runner and even with the V8…a horse trailer is too much for the 4runner…Great vehicles…but it has it’s limits…It has no problem towing my pop-up though.

“I don’t think I would want to pull a horse trailer with a horse with our Toyota 4runner”

I should have proof-read my post. I meant “I don’t think I would want to pull a horse trailer with our Toyota 4Runner”. Our 4Runner has the V-6. It has plenty of power for me and I am certain that it has more power than the 6 cylinder 3/4 ton trucks I used for towing a horse trailer back in the late 1960s and early 1970s. I prefer a heavier vehicle for towing a horse trailer than a 4Runner.

Wow! I only just checked back on this and there is tons of advice! I was mistaken about the main trailer that I have use of - its a horse trailer that can be converted for stock. The other trailer is a livestock trailer with a central dividing gate.

I won’t be towing all that frequently - just around the local area and sometimes up to the mountains (fairly gentle inclines for the most part.) I guess I will look for the 3/4 ton truck or the near 3/4 ton rated SUV, unless a smaller trailer becomes available (!). Someone is selling a Silverado HD 2500 (2001) locally on craigslist for just over 6k. But it sounds a little too much of a bargain - I wonder what is wrong with it! (The mileage is reasonable for its age). There is also a 2003 for 18k.
thank you everyone for your advice. You’ve helped me narrow it down!

Go look at the Silverado. If it looks good and drives well, you might want to get it inspected by a mechanic you trust.