Trouble filling up the gas tank

I have a 2002 Miata and the similar problem, but with rotating the nozzle and running the fuel in slowly I can fill the tank pretty well. Mazda had a recall on my car and it was done, but the problem still exists. I’d suggest you do a google search for a Mazda specific forum and ask your question there.

I believe the emissions systems on cars are warranted for 8 years, by Federal law. Do a little research, this could apply to your car.

1 Like

The emission systems on modern vehicles is only warranted for 2 years/24,000 miles.

The catalytic converters/computers are warranted for 8 years/80,000 miles.

Tester

The door comment left me wanting more information. Can you post a photo?

This might be a good example of my feeling and others that anytime you have a red flag and ask on the internet if you should buy a used vehicle you should pass. The OP has not confirmed it yet but I think this is the vehicle that he ran a Carfax on and found it was a rental and had supposedly a new engine.

I’ve always considered that wise advice too.

You’ve never seen one of these?

Tester

Of course I have.
But your photo is not the OP’s vehicle. I requested a photo of HIS fill hole, not yours.

That’s not my vehicle.

It’s an image off the internet that shows a fill neck with the little door.

Tester

I’ll snap a photo in the daylight tomorrow. But, for the time being, the fill neck looks like the one Tester posted, just without the small round door.

This is a fair point, but the toothpaste is out of the tube, so to speak.

I seriously doubt if there is much difference in filler one way flaps ( little round doors ) anyway.

Thanks, but I didn’t ask for that either.

Once again, the devil is in the details. Thanks for your correction.

Are you referring to the door as shown in Tester’s photo above? post 25? If so, what’s the motivation the manufacturer’s wanted to get rid of it on newer cars?

Here’s a picture of the top of the fill neck, as requested.

Holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle and squeezing the trigger gently seemed to help a little when I filled up yesterday. Thanks for the tip!

Replacing the filler neck won’t solve the problem. If there was that little door in place originally, it needs to be extracted from wherever it got lodged.

As already mentioned, modern filler holes no longer have the flapper door. I see no indication in the photo that yours ever did. In addition, I see no such flapper in the detailed parts list or exploded view drawing for your Mazda. I’ve attached a link to the detailed “exploded view” drawings. You cane wander back and forth in the link from the gas filler cap to the rest of the system and enlarge any individual drawing by clicking on it.

https://www.oemautopartz.com/mazda/oem-parts/mazda-fuel-door-stopper-d65142462a/?c=bT0xJmc9Ym9keSZzPXF1YXJ0ZXItcGFuZWwtYW5kLWNvbXBvbmVudHMmaT01NDI4NDEwNSZyPTgmYT1tYXpkYSZvPTImeT0yMDE0JnQ9dG91cmluZyZlPTEtNWwtbDQtZ2Fz

I suspect that the problem is the EVAP system (vapor recovery system) rather than a blockage in the fill pipe. However, I don’t know what the mechanic did for diagnostic steps.

1 Like