Toyota Tercel 97 having smoke problems... ring job, overhaul, buy new engine?

Does it only smoke upon start-up in the morning? Has someone followed you to observe any smoke while you are driving? You still haven’t told us how much oil it burns (miles per quart)…

Top end? Valve guides, valve stem seals, worn valves? A fresh head might fix oil burning issues.

I think a good estimate is 1 quart every two weeks? I will keep really close track on this now. I also went and got myself a compression gage. I thought I was going to get more irregular meassurements than what I got, here are they

1. Dry 190 wet 210
  2. Dry 190 wet 210
  3. Dry 190 wet 210
  4. Dry 185 wet 180

Something like that, I forgot my actual notebook, but still, I was expecting much more irregularity. It was my first time taking meassurements, maybe I did something wrong? I let the spark go until I saw the needle staying in the same place after two consecutive “jumps”.

I also forgot to mention the smoke dissapears when the engine warms up to the regular temp. Once this temp is reached, no smoke comes up when I accelerate, either going uphill or downhill. It is particularly bad on cold mornings. I am also not worried about transmission, this is a manual.

Was the engine cold or warm when you took the readings? When you take the readings, all 4 plugs need to be removed, the throttle needs to be wide open and you crank it for 6 revolutions (six compression strokes).

I would do both a cold and warm compression readings, but also check the valve clearances. If your lucky, you may not have burned a valve yet. Also check that the oil can drain back to the pan fairly easily. If you don’t have any sludge or coke build up on top of the heads (under the valve covers), you can assume the drains are clear.

I warmed the engine until it stopped smoking, then I took the readings. What would the cold engine readings tell me?

They would tell you that the valves are too tight. This smoke, it is coming out the tailpipe right?

Yes, only from the tailpipe.