Torque Limiting Extension Questions

They can be used with any type of impact wrench. By nature, maximum torque is applied by the wrench during impact. It is not constant. Torque sticks flex at the point of impact, so to speak, when the tightness of the fastener reaches the specified value.

MY Toyota dealership swore up and down that their mechanics used a torque stick when tightening my lug nuts which call for 85 ft lb, but when I got the car home, I could not loosen them with an 18" breaker bar’ I had to use a 4’ pipe over the breaker bar. I would estimate they were at about 300 lb. I am familiar with 300 ft lb because that was what was on our tractor trailers and we changed our own wheels on the road and that was the torque value we used.

I told the dealer that the tech must be using the torque stick as a paperweight but I have never used a torque stick so I don’t know what effect an air gun has on a torque stick if you just let it keep hammering at the lug nuts.

Changed dealers and problem gone.

2 Likes

So it’s possible to “snug down” fasteners with a impact wrench without over tightening. Just stop when you start to fill some resistance, when the fastener is in contact with the mating surface? Is this a possibility to reasonably not risk overtightening? From the posts above, it seems so, but I just want to be sure.

I learned a lot from my 10 mm shallow socket debacle. I learned that Snap-On isn’t always necessarily the best. I also discovered Wera, Boxo, Koken as good tool manufactures in the process. I was able to answer the question, the lowest profile 10 mm socket is 15 mm in overall length (at least as far as I know). Could always just grind one down though.

If your impact is not adjustable, yes, release the trigger after a couple of hits running the nut down. The nut doesn’t turn when yohr torque wrench clicks…back the nut off and retorque. If the nut doesn’t move when you torque it, you are not getting a true reading.