Tool strength

It seems the warranty will return the 2 bucks:

2 Likes

home depot is 2 miles away. they have husky. which broke. autozone is 7 miles. they have duralast? ace is 1 mile away. but they are the most expensive due to limited stock.

Husky used to be a medium priced tool line made in New Britain Connecticut but they went Chinese quite a while before Craftsman. I still have a red metal 3/8 drive shallow and deep Husky set from the 50s. I actually pulled the heads from an early Dodge 318 with it. The next thing I bought was a Craftsman 1/2 in set.

It’s amazing to look at craigslist and ebay listings. There are lot of craftsman usa-made power tools for sale. From the pictures, they seem to have been very well made, also. So sad to see how far they’ve fallen :frowning:

hey, grass use to be greener and such, but that’s been like this forever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Torque-to-yield head bolts while don’t have a specific torque value seem to be in the 75 to 100 ft/lb range. Removing 10 year old head bolts are a different matter, expect to need to apply 150 ft/lbs of force. A two dollar socket won’t last.

I believe that I must have paid more than $20 for my T55 socket more than 20 years ago, professional tools generally cost more than $20 per socket. The current price for a Snap-on T55 is $32.50. If you can get by with spending less than $10 in tools for your project you are doing well.