Too good to be true?

db4690…I did bring up auctions when I answered you the first time. If you are an experienced mechanic and know vehicles you won’t get burned at auctions. If you are afraid of auctions then that’s your problem. Where do you think vehicles come from anyway? Most come from auctions so it’s not comparing apples to oranges in any sense of the word. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Update: the seller never responded to my request for a VIN in order to run a Carfax. I think that tells me allI need to know. However, I’m still car-less. What do you all think of storefront sales lots - the buy here, pay here kind? I won’t be financing but is everything there junk? Thanks so much, everyone.

Yes, almost everything they have will be junk. Drive around looking for cars with for sale in the window, but beware that there are cases of some sleazy car salesmen that take cars home form the lot and pretend they are a private sale. Have friends on the lookout too.

Check the ads in your weekend newspaper for private sales. Check craigslist for your local area only. Take any candidates out for a test drive and have them checked by your mechanic. Visit in person, do not correspond by e-mail or phone only. You could even call a prospective seller and ask them to drive the car to your home or a nearby public place to look at the car and take it for a test drive and inspection.

Again, avoid anything that shows more than one incident of minor body damage or interior damage, that is not a good sign of maintenance. The two seem to go hand in hand. Open the hood and look at the engine, it should be relatively clean. If it is covered in oil and grease, especially fresh oil. avoid it.

The best prospective sellers will be elderly or the children of an elderly person selling their car. They are often older cars with low mileage and well maintained, but conservative vehicles like Buick’s, Mercury’s and such.

Check yard sales too, you would be surprised at the good deals that can be found.

You could even call a prospective seller and ask them to drive the car to your home or a nearby public place to look at the car and take it for a test drive and inspection.

The only problem with this is that you then have no idea how well it starts/runs when the engine is cold.

@olderbodyman. " if it runs, drives and stops, it’s worth $2000…"

If I had a 2000 jeep with185k and rusted out rocker panels on a unibody, and some one offer me over $2 k for it, I would take it as a gift.

For most dealers, sever rust problems mean zero value regardless of the car. Unless someone will repare rust damage for free, body repair costs of this type can dwarf mechanical repairs. Unless done perfectly, you have a less safe car. Cars are expendables…right to zero value and rust is one of the drivers , along with accident damage…IMHO.

@missileman I agree that many vehicles are at the auction in some stage of their lives.

I will not agree that most vehicles come from auctions.

The used car that I bought from a new car dealer last year did NOT come from an auction. It was traded in for a new one.

I am “an experienced mechanic” and know my stuff.
I’ve never gotten burned on any car purchase.
I also have no burning desire to attend an auction, as I am not hellbent on getting the “best possible deal” and I have no intention of becoming a curbstoner.

“I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.”

db4690…I resent your remark about being a curbstoner. I get paid well to inspect vehicles for potential buyers. If I need a vehicle for personal use then I may buy one at an auction. I have over 40 years experience as a certified auto and diesel mechanic. I highly doubt that you are that experienced. Keep paying retail if you like…it’s helping the economy.

@missileman

I like paying retail
I like helping the economy

If you feel I specifically accused you of being a curbstone, that’s your problem
Reread my post
I specifically stated that I had no intention of becoming a curbstoner

Why are you telling me how much experience you have?
You should be proving yourself to your customers, not trying to browbeat me

@dagosa You should try buying anything used right now. I have been looking for a few people. What I paid for that Jeep it is a deal right now. I had it on the hoist just the outside of the rocker are gone the unibody is fine. It runs and drives like new. If I wanted to sell it I could get $3500 for it. I have been offer that for it.

I bought a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee today for $1100. With a rebuild motor. I know who rebuild it. The guy could not get to run after it had quit on him would not take back to the guy who did the work. A new crank sensor and it runs like new. 223000 on the body. Small dent in the LT fender. A little rust on inside of the doors. My roommate is getting this one. I seen this coming last summer when a 100000 - 200000 Mile truck with rusted rockers and dents were going for $6500 to over $10000.

The $500-$1000 days of used cars and trucks are almost over. In most places it is. Make way for $1500 -$2500 cars and trucks as the new low end. With $3000 for average price. Just check the adds.