To rebuild or to replace

" He said some Toyotas of that age range have this oil burning problem due to …. "

I would say all cars of that age range tended to use oil. All this means is you need to be carful and regularly check the oil (Like every fill up or maybe every week. It is the drivers responsibility.

You don’t need to change oil every 3000 miles unless it takes more than 6 months to go 3000 miles. Putting in a quart every 2000 miles is almost like changing the oil every 8000 miles. I think you can easily extend your change interval to 5000 miles. Check the oil weekly to make sure yo don’t burn up the engine if it starts using oil faster.

1999 Corolla 245000 miles, oil changed every 3000-4000 and no issues. Uses less than 1/2 quart between changes. Maybe it’s because I am in a warm area and have no really cold starts. Or just lucky. The only thing that has broken on the Corolla is the inside door handle. But if mine was burning oil I would just keep adding it until it got embarrassing rather than replace or rebuild.