To Balance or not to balance

Are they truck tires or just passanger tires you put on your truck???

They’re the original equipment OEM tires for the 4x4 version of the truck. I’m pretty sure they’re truck tires. What’s your thoughts?

Your trailblazer is an RWD vehicle and you can get away with fewer tire rotations, my experience has shown. FWD vehicles appear much more sensitive to tire rotation requirements than my older RWD.

I am sure there are other engineering reasons, but I choose to rotate between 5 & 7.5K mi.

I’m with you, I think that rotating tires actually wears them out faster. Once the tires take a “set”, that is establish a wear pattern, they wear very slowly. Everytime you move them, they have to get a new “set” and that causes considerable wear.

I compare it to sawing wood. When you are sawing wood, the objective is to get through the wood as fast as possible. You notice that it goes a lot faster if you keep changing the angle of the saw so that you keep getting a better bite.

It funny that when these guys rebuild an engine, they take painstaking care to keep the lifters in the same hole they came out of. The know that if a lifter gets on another cam lobe, both the lobe and the lifter wear out very quickly, The same principle applies to tires. Keep them in the same hole, unless you have 4wd/awd.

It’s not the only truck or car that I have owned. I’ve had a couple of FWD cars. My current one is a 2003 Camry with 45k miles on the original tires. They’ve got a long way to go before I have to replace them.

I’ve also had vehicles that “required” 4 wheel alignments.

That’s very interesting! I never thought of it that way. I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience. Where do I send the royalties when I use your analogy? :wink:

It also depends on the car, I have an old jeep that seems pretty insensitive to front end alignments (i.e., the handling is equally horrible whether it’s been aligned or not). I suspect most SUVs fit in that category. This POS gets the cheapest available big, nasty M&S tires and gets minimum required maintenance, it may even get washed once per year. Every-time I put tires on this rolling junkyard I expect them to outlast the jeep, but this thing just keeps running. I wouldn’t bother rotating tires on this thing, I probably wouldn’t even bother putting it out if it caught on fire. Actually, it hardly every gets used, it’s main function is to sit in the driveway and annoy the neighbors until it snows and my wife doesn’t want to use a real car. If it was up to me, it would be long gone but my wife wants to have a 4WD around. I keep hoping it will die so I can replace it with something less offensive (hopefully I can talk my wife into a non-SUV AWD car as a winter beater).

There is something to be said for that, I’ve found that the fronts and rears both last about the same on my RWD cars (about 40K miles, heavy cars with pretty soft tires). The wear patters are different; The rears just wear down evenly (a tad more in the center because I run the pressure a little higher than recommended), and the fronts have the typical wear pattern where the edges take a little more abuse from cornering. By the time the wear pattern is visible, it’s nearly time to replace them anyway.

On FWD cars, the fronts will definitely wear faster, so you either have to rotate them at least once or you end up replacing just two and putting the new tires on the rear anyway (which is a rotation, I guess).

I think you’re EXTREMELY LUCKY. Give me 100 cars/trucks and don’t balance the tires on them…I GUREANTEE you that 90 or more of them will be worn out prematurely…

I meant rotating…NOT balancing…Every time I’ve tried or know some who’s NOT rotated their tires preiodicially the tires LIFE went down drastically…ESPECIALLY with truck tires.

Well, I’ve been extremely lucky three times then. I have had 3 4x4 trucks over the years. 2 fullsized and this SUV. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket? :smiley: