Tires and Transmission update

Happy that Marnet mentioned anti-dealer maintenance. I was at the Dodge dealer and somebody pointed out that it might be in her interest to shop around for a 70,000 mile, second brake job for 4 wheels because the dealer wants $750 for it. Yes, I agreed to that. How much did I save when I did pads and rotors on the 02 GMC 4WD? It must have been about $750 in savings. I did one wheel a day and those rotors were heavy. I saved more money than I ever made in four days.

What was the topic now? All about me? OK then. I rented an Impala once and it was good for a couple days.

I’m not anti-dealer, just anti the particular Toyota dealer where I bought the car and then not everyone in the shop, just the manager, two of the service writers, one junior lackey, and the nitwit receptionist. Two of the service writers and several of the mechanics are quite courteous and were on my side about the torque converter issue.

I had excellent service from the Chevy dealer shop and have recommended them to other people. I just had had it with spending half my time and bank account fixing problems on the hanger queen.

It’s nice to have an independent shop who’ve earned my trust. But knowing things may change due to them being bought out a few weeks ago, I’ve already checked out additional possibilities in case new ownership changes the staff or quality of operations negatively.

That’s what the manual says. 24855 miles = 40k km (40 Mm)

Mine says severe is:
repeated short trips, urban driving
Any coast, country, winter, mountain driving
towing or racing

So you can see, from #2, just about all driving qualifies as severe. But I take that with a grain of salt.

Better safe than sorry . . .

I have changed those fluids on all of my Subarus every 30k miles, along with the brake fluid.

Exactly!
When you usually keep your car for 10 years, as I do, I don’t think that it pays to try to skimp on maintenance.

Well, “for pity sakes.” Turns out that to drop the transmission pan on this car, 2014 Camry, requires removing the cross member and other things such the labor would be $1,100. It’s designed with no trans dipstick and an almost inaccessible pan. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

Soooo, basic flush the transmission service it shall have to be.

Just make sure they use genuine Toyota fluid.

Will do! Thank you for the reminder. :grinning:

Does your owner’s manual say anything about flushing the transmission? Honda says explicitly no to flush my 2005 Accord B6 AT, but to drain and fill three successive times. I don’t know that a flush is not recommended for your car, just suggesting that you see if it is. You may have done this already.

It sounds like a ‘drain and fill’ is not possible. A ‘fluid exchange’ is pretty common, and is not what I would call a ‘flush’. @Marnet - does your shop do a ‘fluid exchange’?

@Marnet I’ve been thinking about your situation of the cost of servicing​ the transmission on your Camry running over $1000. Consumer Reports could.do a.real service by estimating the cost of.various maintenance services. Unfortunately,.CR has abandoned consumers like me and seem to cater to the more affluent reader and subscriber. I used to think about these things when, by necessity, I had to do a lot of.my own work, and guard my financial resources on work I couldn’t do. For instance, the Ford.Maverick I once owned was easy to repair except for the heater core. To replace the heater core, the dash had to be removed and the air conditioning discharged. It didn’t have to be this way–on my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass the heater core.was.in a box under the hood. Replacement of the heater core took less than a.hour. My 1954 Buick and 1965 Rambler had enclosed driveshafts. To remove the transmission, the rear axle had to be dropped. Other things in these cars were easy to service or repair.
My guess is that on your Toyota transmission, Toyota doesn’t expect​ you to have it serviced. When the transmission​ gives out, you are supposed to buy a new car.
Most people probably don’t think about maintenance on a car or anything else. On some.lawnmowers, the manufacturer claims that the oil never has to be changed​. I have 2 gasoline powered push mowers. One I bought new in 1988 and the other in 1991. I have faithfully changed the oil at the end of each season. Yet, many replacement parts.for these mowers.aren’t available.
Maybe I need to go with the flow and join the throwaway society.

I shudder at the thought
fight against it as much as you can!

I just spoke with the shop. What they do is a fluid exchange with OEM fluid. They say they recommend such trans service every 30k.

Their experience is that owners who adhere to the new book requirement of 100k end up with either finding no dealer or trans shop will do trans service if waited that long and/or a ruined tranny.

So I’ll keep to the 30k interval. I’m doing it at 28k because it is easier to just do so while tires are put on. And as my driving is mostly short haul stop and go, that is hard on both engine and tranny. I’ll err on the side of early proactive maintenance. :grinning:

As you have done in the past, you are proving that you are a very smart lady, Marnet!

:slight_smile:

Yikes, I’m happy with the two Impalas I have (One is going strong at 300,000 miles+) and my Pontiacs. They make it easy to R&R the transmission pans and filters! (Just twenty little bolts and reusable factory installed gasket.) :wink:

Just kidding, but I did buy a Liqui-Vac fluid extractor and I can neatly, cleanly, from a standing position, draw out 7 quarts of transmission fluid (out of a total of 10) in a short amount of time.

All the fluid is captured, no (spills) drips, runs, or errors! I then pour in the corresponding amount of new fluid!

It’s all performed right through the dipstick tube with no smoke, mirrors, or slight-of-hand!

Do that a couple of times within a few thousand miles and you’ve replaced most of the fluid. Do it regularly and the fluid stays fresh. Once you own the extractor (about 50 bucks), the cost is only for fluid. :slight_smile:
CSA

You did see the “no trans dipstick” comment, right?

1 Like

Oooops! Yes I did! However, (Do I suffer from short term memory loss? I don’t know. I can’t remember.) I quickly forgot that about that Toyota. That one would drive me crazy! I check that stuff out when car shopping. I’ve passed up cars with peculiar maintenance/repair features.

Make that two more things I like about my cars. Anyhow, It works well on my fleet.
CSA

I wasn’t happy about the lack of tranny dipstick when car shopping but the overall advantages for my needs of the Camry won out. It never occurred to me the engine bay design might preclude access to the trans pan or anything else for that matter.

I just can’t imagine why a car manufacturer would leave out a dipstick. It can’t be to save money. It’s too important. There must be another reason

But why would a manufacturer make a transmission pan not serviceable? Same thing??? One would hope not to develop a transmission pan gasket leak or a damaged pan. I wonder if there’s even a filter in there?

I still keep on buying cars that make sense to me, but I think I’m fighting an uphill climb. :anguished: I think manufacturers are focusing more on infotainment centers, whatever those are. :confused:
CSA

3 Likes