Tire shop does business right

I had four new tires mounted on our Volvo Wagon today. First I was treated well and shown several options. My copy of the sale had all the information on it including torque specs for the lug nuts. But most impressive was when the vehicles are backed out of the service bay there is an employee well behind the driver to assure nothing or someone is not behind the vehicle. They said this also prevents someone driving into the lot from getting hit by the employee backing the vehicle. When you think about how quick a small child can move it self into danger this practice should be standard for all places like that.

Sounds like a place I would do business with,give em a shout out for me-Kevin

This brings to mind a situation that occurred at the airconditioning shop where I worked over summer college break.

I had installed an after market A/C in a restored 1960’s Ford. At the finish of the install the owner insisted that he back the car out of the stall. As he was backing out he cut to the right too quick and ran the left fender into the jamb of the bay door. There was not much damage to the jamb and the shop owner explained the facts of life to the Ford owner. The Ford owner did not say much at the time.

The next day he came back in complaining about the distributor vacuum advance being too close to the compressor base. The lead mechanic moved the plug wires one tower forward; reset the timing; and the driver was on his way. I guess that was his satisfaction for the fiasco.

BTW I have always been impressed by operations that use a safety walker helping a large vehicle maneuver safely and warning the maneuvering driver and other driver(s) of hazards. A class operation.

I think you should identify the shop so that anyone nearby can enjoy the same great service you did.

It’s good to hear a story about a shop that does things right. You should have passed the name on. They deserve the good karma.

Discount Tires Tulsa Hills Shopping Center Tulsa,OK
I did not name them at first because I did not want it to appear as spam. I did put them in the mechanics file, they are not mechanics but someone might search for tires.

EVERYONE searches for tires at some point or other. I just put four new all-season Hankooks on my buggy today. The fall rains are on the way, to be followed by… the dreaded WINTER!!! My old ones were down to the wear bars.

I got to talking to a young lady while mine were being mounted, and we got to talking about the price of tires. She said she runs hers until they’re totally bald. I held up my palm and said “you have four patches of rubber the size of your palm keeping your three to four thousand pound car from sliding off the road. As expensive as tires seem, tires with good tread are dirt cheap insurance.” I could see the lightbulb of realization light up in her eyes. She replied “you know, I never thought of it that way”. Hopefully I planted a seed.

We have an incredibly good regional tire dealer. Les Schwab. They have good prices and will order any tire you want. Their guarantee is far beyond anyone else including road hazard and roadside assistance. Plus free rotation. I have mine rotated at 5,000 miles.

Les Schwab is a great regional chain but we’ve had great luck with our local Discount Tire in Olympia, pull in right before close on a friday and they happily do the tire rotation for us.

It’s shops like this you should tell your friends about and send them there.

I’ve never been a big fan of any national tire chain store.

My last experience with a national tire chain store (TireTown).

What they do right -
. Courteous to customers.
. Torque lug nuts.
. They put mats down on the seat and floor to prevent the tire guy from adding dirt to the car.

What they DON’T do right.
. Salesmen are not very knowledgeable and can be very very pushy.
. The tire that’s right for you is always the one they have in stock. I went to two different TireTowns for tires. First one recommended these MasterCraft (just rebadged coopers)…and said the BFG’s I was looking at were junk. The second TireTown I went to…said the BFG’s were EXCELLENT and the Mastercraft was crap. TireTown-1 had the Mastercraft’s in stock…and TireTown-2 had the BFG’s in stock.
. Always trying to upsell me a service.

The place I go to has been in business for over 30 years. Very knowledgeable. Never tries to upsell me anything. He’ll get me the tire I want…doesn’t matter if it’s in stock or not. The main tire they sell is Cooper…they also carry every other brand. Their prices are very competitive.

I’ll second Discount Tire - the one in Burlington, WA, has given me good service. I was a bit confused about the torque sticks they use to start the lug nuts with, but then they follow up with a torque wrench and I believe they had to tighten the lugs with the wrench past where the torque stick left them. I still don’t get how a torque stick works.

A Les Schwab in Bellingham pulled a bait and switch of sorts on me once.

I’ve been very pleased with Mr Tire in Ellicott City, MD. They do suspension repairs too, and have never steered me wrong in the last 15 years. All outlets may not be the same, though. So much depends on who manages and works at each of the stores. Still, upper management does provide a framework to succeed if they do their job right.

In Central NJ, the biggest tire dealer is STS Tire.
A friend of mine went there in order to get Michelin Defender tires for his Rav-4, based on my recommendation of that tire. He would have gone to Costco, but–unfortunately–Costco doesn’t carry the Defender in the size that his car calls for.

To make a long story a bit less long, the salesman at STS told him that the Michelin Defender was not suitable for “trucks”, and that my friend’s Rav-4 is a truck.
Really?
The salesman at STS tried to pressure him into buying a set of Bridgestones for his Rav, but when I did my due diligence on those Bridgestones (I can’t recall the exact model), I found that they…
had a MUCH lower tread life rating than the Defenders…
had a lower traction rating and a lower heat resistance rating than the Defenders…
were not LRR tires…
and were just inferior in every way to Michelin Defenders.

Clearly, STS wanted to move some old, poorly-rated Bridgestones out of their stock, rather than ordering Michelin Defenders.

The next day, I accompanied my friend to Mr. Tire, where they quoted a good price on a set of Michelin Defenders. When I tried to play “Mr. Innocent” and asked about the same tires that STS had recommended, the salesman at Mr. Tire went point by point through the differences between that particular Bridgestone and the Michelin Defender, and–as he confirmed–the Defender is a far superior tire in all respects.

The moral of the story is that my friend will never again darken the door of STS Tire.

In the mid-1990s we looked at Mr Tire’s house when it was up for sale. Nice place, but it wasn’t what we were looking for. Good looking trophy wife, too, but I already have my trophy wife.

I have always gotten the same good service out of Costco, including a safety observer when backing the car out.

Just this past Tuesday a lady I was chatting with while my new tires were being mounted told me that the local NTB had just put new tires on her sister’s car and had replaced one of the pressure sensor valves with a regular valve, causing the TPWS light to stay illuminated. When she returned immediately and complained, they told her she didn’t really need that system anyway and tried to send her on her way. I was floored. Disabling a mandatory safety system is IMHO criminal… or if it ain’t, it should be. I suggested she tell her sister to file a formal complaint with the Consumer Affairs division of the AG’s office. I myself had problems with that particular NTB store some years back.

OEM tires on my 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse were Bridgestones. Their only redeeming feature was wearing out at around 18,000 miles. I could then justify buying real tires. I was very pleased with my BF Goodrich TAs.

The OEMs on my Scion were Bridgestone RE92s. Unfortunately.
I gotta tell ya, the Hankooks I just got seem great. Much, much quieter than the (now discontinued) previous Hankook all-season design, and they’re smooth and track perfectly, totally unaffected by changes in surface conditions. I just got them this past Tuesday, so it’s too soon to really know anything. I’ve only put probably 150 to 200 miles on them.

I just can t buy or eat badly named things. hankook is just a bad name. clotted cream, I don t eat clots. a fiero, sounds like it will burst into flames.

silly spellings and non words also make me avoid products

To me they’re all just names. If I’m impressed with the product, the name is irrelevant.