TIRE questions

Two things Kevin. First, it’s the rear tires that need traction for you to turn at all. That is the bracing point much like you need the right foot to turn left when walking for a bi ped. Secondly, without control, stopping means nothing. Everyone envisions stopping in a straight line, but we apply the brakes while steering, nearly as often. With poor traction on the back, you have NO BRACE point which means, any braking and you can loose total control.

Let me give you an illustration on why rear traction is important. My first tractor was a 4 wheel drive. Tractors generally only brake the rear wheels but you get front braking through the transmission when in 4wd. I forgot to engage the 4wd ( dumb) while going down a steep hill with a load of rocks in the loader. With no braking in front, the rear wheels locked up and I started to slide. But, because the back wheels are much bigger, loaded with calcium, they still had traction over the front wheels for turning. I was able to steer normally as the tractor slowed enough for me to find some friendly small trees to assist my stopping. Had I not had the best traction on the rear, even with front braking, the tractor would easly spin and roll. But, common tractors are always made with a massive traction preference to the rear…for safety. Is a tractor a car ? No. But the same physics apply and anyone who regularly drives a tractor, knows how important rear wheel traction…OVER front is for safety and control. The same applies to cars.

Back in high school at the gas station I worked at, when customers would come to replace their “worn” tires, I would often grab the best of their “worn” tires and put them on my Corvair. As long as they were 14" tires, I didn’t care.

I didn’t have to buy any tires for about 3 years.
But now that I’m no longer 18, no longer think I’m infallible, and have people I care about in life, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Capri

I missed that the vehicle was front wheel drive. If thats the case Yes The new tires again Go on the front

I missed that the vehicle was front wheel drive. If thats the case Yes The new tires again Go on the front

No…They go on the rear.

http://www.tireindustry.org/tire_safety_starts_here_ATS.asp

+1 to mike’s comment.