Tire leaks when mounted, not when unmounted

Cleaning out my dad’s papers, I found some ration coupons for gas, and a receipt for a new tire. He had to get special permission from the Colonel in charge in order to buy it. Yeah they were scarce but had to drive from Wisconsin to Minnesota on a hope and a prayer. Come to think of it, maybe that’s why he’d run tires until they were bald-totally.

I titled the thread, ‘Tire leaks when mounted, not when unmounted’, not ‘Should I buy new tires?’. That topic has been beaten to death. I was curious about this phenomenon.

And yet the thread migrated to

by the 4th post

1 Like

Random Troll, did you figure out where and why the tire leaked air? If so, can you share?

Two comments. Don’t we have a physics professor on board that can explain the whole air pressure issue with some authority? And maybe one of you technically competent members can start a Go Fund Me or something for a new set of tires for Random? But it would have to be for a coupon or something so he couldn’t spend it on anything else.

Yeah sure I may make smart alack comments but usually it is all in fun. Some folks just don’t take it that way and I’ve had a couple issues with people bigger and older than me.

If I start a GoFundme campaign for Troll . . .

who’s to say I won’t spend the money raised on myself, as may have happened recently?

Actually, I read once where Goodyear stated that you should replace your tires after 5 years, regardless of mileage because just the natural exposure to the atmosphere will cause significant degradation of the rubber in that time.

Food for thought . . .

My mom’s 2014 Civic was built in 2013, and it’s still got the original tires. The car only has 33K, and the tires still have a decent amount of tread . . . but they’re showing a LOT of cracks.

They’re getting replaced this weekend, with a set of Michelin Premier tires

Perhaps the advice was to closely inspect the tires for signs of aging, Goodyears tire wear warranty expires after 6 years. Advising to always replace your tires every 5 years is in conflict with the 6 year warranty.

I’m having a set of Michelin Premier tires installed at Costco on the 24th of this month. One of Costco.com’s new features is the ability to schedule your tire installation ahead of time, so that you can do it on a convenient day, with less wasted time.

While their prices are essentially unbeatable, sometimes in the past I had a very long wait for tire installation because of the number of people ahead of me in line. Hopefully, their new system will significantly shorten waiting times.

I suspicion like others are saying, it may just be old tires and leaking through the cracks. I don’t think that you will get much air pressure increase by putting the tire on, however you will get sidewall and tread flex while rolling that you would not get sitting in your truck bed. That being said a small nail or whatever can leak under the same circumstances. I had a tire with a slow leak I could not find for at least a couple months. The leaking progressed to a faster rate and I eventually found a small nail. Removed it, plugged tire, and no more issues.

You’re entitled to your opinion

In my situation, Costco does NOT make it easy to do all this. In any case, the 2 Costco locations that are reasonable close to my house don’t make it easy

I tried to do all this online, and it just didn’t work

The tire shop guy on the phone said I have to show up in person to arrange all that stuff

Maybe the Costco employee I was talking to was just too lazy or incompetent . . . ?!

Yup!
I also wondered about their advertised online appointment scheduling when I saw nothing on their website.

As it turned out, when they e-mailed my receipt for my special-order tires, they included a special link for making an appointment at the desired tire center. I have printed-out both the purchase receipt and the verification of my appointment, and will bring them with me later in the month, on the date that I selected. Afterward, I will let you know how it turned-out!

When I wrote that that isn’t the question I asked.

I haven’t yet. I drive only a few times a year so I don’t have to fix it anytime soon. I think I’ve come to the end of the efforts I want to put into finding the leak. Mr @George_San_Jose1 gave the only useful response but I’m not going to unmount the tire and do that. I anticipate buying new tires eventually. I have to drive it in March to get the emissions test; I may put a new floor in the bathroom first.

I have a degree in physics.

As I wrote earlier, money is no object. Now that I’m writing my will I’m trying to figure out what to do with my money. Money is no object now because I’ve spent my entire life practicing frugalities such as this one. I don’t think I will change.

Me too. I asked here for other ideas.

Why not? I’d be apply about 1,000 pounds of force on it. Imagine I had a sealed air piston and rested my axle on it instead: it’d show the pressure.

I’ve found small nails in my tires before. I’ve taken this tire off and washed it thoroughly, looked in every crack.

You’ve made a lot of holes in my bicycle’s tubes.

I expected everyone would tell you that you have a rim leak, I guess it is easy to get distracted.

Increasing the tire pressure will sometimes mask the problem, it increases the pressure on the bead of the tire reducing or closing the leak. Reduce the tire pressure to 25 PSI and puddle water on the bead/rim area, watch for bubbles.

1 Like

Mr @George_San_Jose1 mentioned it. I wrote that I had looked for a rim leak. Reducing pressure to look again is a good idea.

I remember the real reason I asked the question: what should I do when I buy new tires to get the installer to inspect that rim particularly? If I pay just the fee for mounting and balancing, s/he won’t even look, right? Is that guy/gal just a flunky whom I can’t trust to inspect the rim properly? Would it be simpler to get a new tire then wait for a leak to show?

If you find a rim leak ask the tire store to clean the bead area of the wheel with a wire brush/emery cloth before installing the new tire.

I calculated the inside area of a 195/75R14 tire as nearly 1,700 inches2 (that includes the surface of the rim) - thus adding a 1,000 pound load increases its pressure by .6 psi

That’s nice. Now go get some new tires. There comes a time when you have to start spending your money. It’ll help the economy, and you might start liking driving. Or hey, better yet, go buy yourself a new truck and go for a road trip. It’ll be an adventure. Pack a lunch even. There’s lots of stuff to see yet before winter. North, east, west, but don’t go south.

Incidentally, I stopped at the tire shop today to schedule a rotation but got a price on tires for the Acura. They’re down to 5/32 at 35,000 miles. At any rate I expected about $1800 but was quoted $1100 for 18" Mich., same as what I’ve got. Prices must have gone down quite a bit so get them while they’re hot.