Tips for the junkyard

I should add that the last time I tried to buy an engine part from a boneyard they refused. Selling entire engines, they said, was better business for them than parting them out, and nobody wants to buy a used motor with parts missing. Makes sense.

I did a search on my local Craiglist and found a Civic engine for $100 and a Jeep 4cyl block for $120. Lot less hassle than trying to remove it at a junk yard.

I got one for $10. Walked in with a few tools. They had brought the truck up onto this cement pad. It had no body just the frame made it really easy.

2 Likes

The local engine machine shop accumulates scrap components including clean as new bare blocks that are cracked or otherwise damaged beyond repair. They occasionally have a house cleaning and haul the scrap away when the price of scrap metal is up. I canā€™t imagine the local shop owner passing up $20 for a piece of junk.The OPā€™s local shop may have an aluminum 4 cylinder in their pile. Two couch potatoes could likely carry it.

Another idea, buy an entire car for a few hundred dollars, either drive or tow it to where you want to have the engine wind up, and remove it there. Then sell/give the remainder of the car to a recycler, or you might even could make a bit of a profit if you part it out yourself.

Thatā€™s too much work

1 Like

I am of the opinion you need to try a different source,

I have an big V8 engine. It was really easy and I would definitely do it again.

I like that idea. That gives you most the parts you might need during the exchange. Youā€™d probably have to call one of those guys thatā€™ll tow junkers away for free after the project is done, as itā€™s unlikely that anyone will buy a car with on motor unless itā€™s a classic, but itā€™s still worth it.