timing issue

I see a Motorcraft SP450 listed at rockauto for the 5.7 V8 engine.

There are thread chasers made specifically for cleaning up crossed threads.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-Automotive-14mm-and-18mm-Spark-Plug-Opening-Thread-Chaser/50164957?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY--ToolsAndHardware--SosHandTools-_-50164957:KD_Tools&CAWELAID=&kpid=50164957&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=go_625664149_34614599710_111134285470_aud-299487635210:pla-444291441990_c_1020828&gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i06w88YrsQqNQ30oCrOLXbZoAwUL5_7WaQiezf45VyglcBoeHjpxjBoCre4QAvD_BwE

And when the timing chain jumps and the engine starts the manifold vacuum is so low that the mixture runs extremely rich.

1 Like

If OP used an old spark plug and filed a notch (in the direction of the long axis of the plug) in the threads, might that work as a poor-manā€™s thread chaser?

Want to be a wise guy, eh? :wink:

Yes I just read that somewhere else. Weird because according to autozones website they say those wonā€™t fit. So I called them just now and they said they will work for the number I gave them.

Iā€™m not happy about this but I guess I should have looked more closer when I got them but I was in a rush

Getting a wrong or defective part at a parts stores is a pretty common thing. About the only thing you can do is choose a parts store that will cheerfully replace a wrong part or one that is defective right out of the box. Pretty much every auto parts store Iā€™ve used has done that, some more cheerfully than others, but they all seem to serve up another part for a faulty one. If it is an electrical system part and you gave them the wrong info when they looked it up, or if you ask for a cash refund they may not be so accommodating. My first wrong part number was for a u-joint for my truck, and Iā€™ve been getting wrong parts along the way since. The worst ones are where somebody has put a different part in a properly labeled box.

Thanks for all the help and info guys, im going spend a few days and try to decide on what to do regarding the plug. Iā€™m pretty bummed out about it, just seems like one thing after another. But on a sidenote Iā€™m happy sheā€™s at least running :sunglasses: