Timing Chain

Can you not remove the spark plugs and look down the cylinders with a scope? You should be able to see the valves and if they are bent/broken. Also, do some of the pistons have holes in them, minor dents (no biggie), or no damage at all?

Some interference engines are more forgiving than others and come through this more often than not. Others result in complete carnage of the engine internals if the belt/chain breaks or jumps. The Chevy Aveo is a bad example of this. Most chain last the life of the engine so this isn’t common. I don’t know how this one typically comes through. I would suggest looking up others with similar experiences. Also, the fact this engine has had oil related problems in the past would make me nervous.

If the cylinder will hold pressure, the valves are not bent or broken and the pistons have no holes. It’s definitive, even more so IMHO than inspecting with a fiberscope.

I suspect the ongoing debate is a difference in definition of a “compression test”. Technically a “compression test” tests the pressure developed by the piston. A “leakdown test”, which I used to call a “compression leakdown test” until OK4450 made me see the error of my ways, is sometimes called a “compression test”… in reality it is a test of the cylinder’s ability to hold compression rather than the amount of compression, so I’ve always been comfortable with it. A compression test is difficult without a chain, but testing the ability to hold pressure only requires the ability to close both valves.

In short, I think the debate is largely semantics. :smile:

I suggested doing a leak down test back on page 1 of this discussion. Technically it is a pressure leak down test. Whether it is generated by the piston or an external compressor doesn’t matter. In this case, you can’t crank the engine so you apply positive pressure through the spark plug hole and measure the leak rate. Not sure why people are getting hung up on the technicalities. The basic premise is you do not need to invest significant $$ to determine if there is a bent valve. Hearing it died on startup makes me even more optimistic that there may be no damage or is limited. If it were mine, I’d do the check first…

+1 to TT’s post.

@cwatkin writes …

look down the cylinders with a scope ... see the valves and if they are bent/broken

Just curious how this is done. It sounds like a great idea, and those inspection cameras are fairly reasonably priced these days. But the diy’er type inspection camera’s I’ve seen, I can’t envision how you’d turn the aim around 180 degrees so once inside the cylinder from the spark plug hole, they could look back up towards the valves.

More than just semantics, a leak down test on an engine with inoperative cams takes much more effort than a routine compression test.

Even with a cylinder head off it is impossible to determine if a valve is damaged and leaking. SOP for inspecting heads is to prop them up inverted and pour gasoline into the concaves and after several minutes inspect the valve ports for indications of liquid leaking past the valves. A boroscope would find holes in pistons and broken valves but not minimally canted valves which is the usual damage when an engine jumps time. .

How many times have I done the “Gasoline” test…is what I am currently wondering @“Rod Knox” …lol. Sure does work though…